Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not showing image after replacing video card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ELBdelorean

ELBdelorean

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hello, all. My PC was previously having this problem earlier. It was suggested to me to replace the video card, and I finally got a chance to do that recently. I also had to replace the 400W PSU with a 550W PSU. Anyway, when I first booted up the PC after replacing the video card, I got an image. It booted into the BIOS, but I got a "No boot media available" message much to my alarm. So I put in HDD from this PC into another one to make sure it didn't work. Alas, it did; however, it would not boot into the OS. Regardless, this told me the HDD worked (somewhat), so the problem had to lie in my PC. When I placed the HDD back into my PC, I attempted to boot it up one more time. Now there is no image at all. The fans all start spinning; the PSU's red LED glows, but nothing on the screen. The odd thing is normally when I turn it on and it boots into the BIOS, it only takes one push of the power button to turn it off. Now when I get no image, I have to hold down the power button to turn the PC off. I should also mention I am connecting this from the new video card via HDMI.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ELBdelorean

ELBdelorean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Anything? Could the motherboard be at fault here?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

IMO, "no boot media" could imply simply that the boot options elected in the BIOS...do not replect a bootable device. The current boot options in the BIOS are the first thing I would check...to see that the hard drive is the first boot device and is properly reflected in the BIOS.

<<The odd thing is normally when I turn it on and it boots into the BIOS>>

That's not normal...the only time I've seen a system boot into the BIOS was when the CMOS battery was failing and needed to be replaced.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph03560&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3856272&tmp_track_link=ot_search

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph04375&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3856272&tmp_track_link=ot_search

I'm not saying this is your problem...but spending less than $5 on a CMOS battery won't hurt anyone or anything.

Louis

#4 ELBdelorean

ELBdelorean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for replying. When I said it boots into the BIOS, I meant it would boot here:

Posted Image

And then it would load the OS.

Ignore the rectangle around "Diagnostics". This was the first picture I could find of this particular screen.

Edited by ELBdelorean, 21 December 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Aashhhh...that's not the BIOS, that's just the system screen/manufacturer logo.

My system boots to a screen displaying the motherboard manufacturer logo (my systems are self-built, no HP/Lenovo/etc. logos).

<<it only takes one push of the power button to turn it off.>>

You should not have to use the Power button to turn off your system, Windows should turn it off (if you are electing the Turn Off Computer option from within Windows).

Using the power button to shut down may damage system files in Windows.

Did you boot into the BiOS (F-10) and check the boot options you have established? Is the hard drive the first option?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#6 ELBdelorean

ELBdelorean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

Did you boot into the BiOS (F-10) and check the boot options you have established? Is the hard drive the first option?

I can't; there's no image.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Sorry, I was thinking that you could see the blue screen that you posted.

When new hardware doesn't work properly, it makes sense to me to remove it...and reinstall the old to see if it still works. Helps define just where the problem is not :).

Louis

#8 ELBdelorean

ELBdelorean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

I've tried that, and it still doesn't produce an image. Honestly, I don't think it's the video card; its fan still spins.

#9 ELBdelorean

ELBdelorean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Sorry for double posting again, but I really need to get this diagnosed or fixed as soon as possible.

Edited by ELBdelorean, 23 December 2011 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users