Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static electricity build up?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hello!
I'm very confused by some Toshiba tech support explanation/instruction and I hope someone can explain it to me.

I have had an issue this semester with my machine shutting down suddenly. I posted on this site about it in the web browser forum and it seems not to be a software issue.
I wanted to make sure no parts were dying and so I decided to call tech support because my warranty expires January 5th.

They told me that the Portege gets 'exhausted' and instructed me to shut the machine down, remove the battery, depress the power button for ten seconds, and then put the battery back in and go about my business. When I asked for more information, he said it was 'just static electricity building up' and that I need to 'drain it'. He was unable to tell me what would cause this and when or how often to employ the 'fix'.

Does his instruction make sense, or was he just telling me that to get me off the phone because my problem is sort of vague and happens randomly? :unsure: He did ask me how much I use my computer everyday. Am I killing my computer by spending eight hours a day typing?

Thank you for reading!! Any advice, comments or general enlightenment are greatly appreciated! :heart:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randec

randec

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

Sounds like a bogus explanation to me. From what you describe I believe the problem is over-heating. Laptops aren't really meant to be on 24/7, 8-18 hours should be fine though. Sounds like it needs to be dusted out. If it were under warranty, I would probably insist that they fix it.

#3 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hello Ubiq,

What are the cause that statical electricity shut down the Computer? Well, in the most cases is that when the Computer is not grounded.
If you read the userguide from your Computer, than do you see that you must plugged in a grounded outlet.
What Randec told is also true, overheating, dust gives also troubles.
But statical electricity is the problem for what I told in the opening rule.
Also is it not good when a Computer stays on carpet.
When you statical loaded and you opened the case and takes the components, than the parts of the Computer are statical loaded and than must you change the parts for new.

#4 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thank you both for posting. :flowers:

I'm still so confused. Of course it's grounded, with a surge protector, and I have hardwood floors. There is no dust problem either, but I will have my friend look inside tonight and double check(I'm scared to open it). I just don't understand what I could have done to fry it.

Does all this mean though that I need the computer replaced?

Please see my other post for a screenshot of Toshiba's PC Health Monitor that indicated my computer wasn't overheating. Do I need to get another program to measure heat? So confused....

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Since it is a Toshiba go here for warranty information http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty just to verify

Or Go here http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/gaspLocator.jsp?subs=tais and see if you have a ASP (Authorized Service Provider) local to you. If you do then you should call them to be sure they can work on your model as they can not work on all models.

Either way I would have Toshiba fix it before the warranty runs out since that is imminent. The local ASP can download the proper Toshiba Diagnostic disk to check your computer before they do the repair.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Rotor123, thank you so much!! :wub:

I will do just that!

Speccy

#7 randec

randec

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'd double check with the manufacturer, but make sure before your friend opens it that him doing so will not void your warranty. It most likely will so I would advise against it. If it's under warranty I would insist insist insist that they honor the terms of the warranty and look into the issue. Don't be pushed over and talked out of your rights as a consumer.

EDIT

So yeah I concur with what rotor said, with the added piece of advice that you should not have your friend open it before your warranty expires as his opening of it will probably void the warranty.

Edited by randec, 21 December 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#8 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

Randec, thanks, I won't ask him to look at it. B)

Toshiba tech support wants me to reinstall Windows and return my computer to the way it shipped from the factory before they will do anything. That's annoying, because I have to copy all my to a flash drive and then I will have to spend lots of time reinstalling needed programs, taking off their junk, etc.

I don't understand why they would have to do that in order to test for a hardware issue. <_<

There is an additional issue with the warranty. I paid $336 for an extended warranty but they can't find that. I have my bank statement but I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach about this. I just hate talking to companies like this.

Speccy

#9 randec

randec

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

They're giving you hoops to jump through, hoping you'll just give up or put it off until your warranty has expired.

#10 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

I will have my friend look inside tonight and double check(I'm scared to open it).

Wise decission! I was thinking and thought the next:

When there is to little CPU pasta on the processor, than get you overheating and the pc. will be shut down.
Also will be the pc. shut down when there is to much CPU pasta on the processor.
I have understand that you have a warranty on your pc., okay, you must be very secure with that, because when the pc. will been opened by your friend or whoever, than is the risk there that you loose your warranty.
Let we say that I have right and that on the CPU is to little CPU pasta, than is there the possibillity that an electronical part cares that the pasta on the CPU is gone.
However what the case is: I think that it is wise that you visit the shop where you have bought the Computer.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Randec, thanks, I won't ask him to look at it. B)

Toshiba tech support wants me to reinstall Windows and return my computer to the way it shipped from the factory before they will do anything. That's annoying, because I have to copy all my to a flash drive and then I will have to spend lots of time reinstalling needed programs, taking off their junk, etc.

I don't understand why they would have to do that in order to test for a hardware issue. <_<

There is an additional issue with the warranty. I paid $336 for an extended warranty but they can't find that. I have my bank statement but I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach about this. I just hate talking to companies like this.

Yup I agree, Avoid opening it. The likelihood that anyone but a Toshiba ASP would have the special Toshiba Thermal compound is slim and thus Toshiba would be able to tell someone had it open.

I want you to think back in time to your purchase. Where did you buy the laptop? If it wasn't from Toshiba the chances are very high they sold you their brand of extended warranty and not from Toshiba. Best Buy for example sells their brand of warranty. Can you find your Invoice? If you have proof of extension on the warranty as being from Toshiba a copy of that will give them proof to extend your warranty period.

I had to deal with Lenovo recently where they had a disconnect on their warranties. When the Thinkpad went in for warranty the sevice centers warranty lookup showed expired and the Lenovo website showed another year. I had to track down the proper phone number and get them to fix it.

If you can find your receipt that would help. I was fortunately able to get a reprint on My Toshiba to show when the warranty should run out.

You need to understand how it works. If you buy from Toshiba they have an accurate warranty start time. If you buy elsewhere and never register with Toshiba then the presume the start time to be the manufacture date. This is true with many electronic devices.

Toshiba is asking you to restore IMO to eliminate any chance of the problem being a software issue.

If you have an empty external drive then you could clone your drive to it keeping in mind that a clone will wipe out everything on the destination and that if you clone backwards you can wipe out your internal hard drive.

Then I presume you did make the Toshiba recovery disk DVD set? or the Recovery partition recover to like new and see what happens.

If a local service ASP can do the warranty that might be best. However remember they are not Toshiba owned so You need to feel comfortable and I would still have a backup just in case of a miscommunication. If a local ASP can do the warranty and determines that hardware is at fault my understanding is that Toshiba overnights parts to them.

Very important to keep receipts. Please note that many receipts are on thermal paper and thus will fade away. Those should be copied when new to ensure against that happening.

Edited by rotor123, 22 December 2011 - 12:12 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users