Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

:offtopic: Apple Running Intel?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deeppurple0405

deeppurple0405

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:27 AM

I saw a commercial for the super bowl about apple running Intel. Just wondering if anyone else saw or heard about it. ( does this mean apple can run windows if true ) ???
[font=Microsoft Sans Serif] [b] t (-_-) t DeEpPuRpLe t (-_-) t

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

Dont know about the windows thing but yep Apple is going with Intel chips in some of their products.

Posted Image

#3 forevermac

forevermac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

To be perfectly honest with you, apple's use of intel chips in their macs has gone a little further now, with users putting dual core 2.5 gHz chips inside the new mac mini. Supposedly, it's one heck of a hack because the single core mac was running a 2gig processor.

Mod Edit: Removed commercial spam links.

Edited by Scarlett, 08 April 2006 - 09:18 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:38 PM

Apple unveils official support for booting Windows
4/5/2006 8:38:01 AM, by Clint Ecker

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

Article here

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060405-6524.html

Download link

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/publicbeta.html

REMINDER: this is a beta version, which means you may have difficulty.
Be sure to have your system backed up and a Restore point available.

Also... "Word to the Wise: Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it'll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

Edited by boopme, 07 April 2006 - 10:39 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

I saw a commercial for the super bowl about apple running Intel. Just wondering if anyone else saw or heard about it. ( does this mean apple can run windows if true ) ???

The XP experiment: Running Windows on a Mac

Is installing XP on an Intel Mac worth the effort?

By Rob Griffiths

First, Intel-built processors wind up in the Mac. What’s next—Windows XP running on an Apple-built machine? Exactly, thanks to the Windows XP on Intel Mac challenge.

That contest, to get the Microsoft operating system running on an Intel-based Mac, has been won, meaning it’s now at least theoretically possible to run Windows natively on your Intel-based Mac (while still retaining a separate OS X installation). After drawing the short straw volunteering to help out, I set out to see what it would take to install the hack, get XP up and running on my Intel-powered Mac mini, and then see what kind of Windows XP machine I had on my hands.

Part Two: Make XP usable / Part Three: The risks involved

Part Four: Using Windows XP on a Core Duo mini

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users