Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and touchpad unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bs10

bs10

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum or not, but here it goes.

My toshiba satellite laptop running windows xp was infected withy the XP antivirus 2012 last week. I had some problems w that but after a couple Malwarebytes, I thought I had the Problem corrected.

Well the same virus reappeared again. So I ran some more scans to try and cure my laptop but now I have a new issue.

Today I ran the Combofix Programs . I had used this program before to clear a virus so I tried it again

Anyway, after running that, my laptop's keyboard and touchpad are no longer functioning. The touchpad doesn't respond to me using that, nor do any of the keys on the keyboard. The mouse is froze in the middle of the screen. I can't even toggle the caps lock on/off. I tried the windows button +R key but that didn't produce anything either.

The only thing that seems to work is the power on/off button. I'm not sure what else to try or do. That's what brings me here.

Is there a diagnostic test that I could check? Or maybe the keyboard driver was infected w the virus and Combofix deleted it. I have no clue what else to try.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated! I'm currently using my iPhone to type this so I apologize for any errors or if I left out any pertinent information.

Thanks in advance for you help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

maybe the keyboard driver was infected w the virus

Yes, most likely the PS/2 keyboard/mouse driver/registry key was infected.

See the following two topics with same/similar problem:
  • http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic430036.html
  • http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic433602.html

Temporary solution:
Use USB-connected keyboard and mouse.

Permanent solution:
You will need some expert assistance to deal with the issue, so please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.

I ready through your reply as well as the two links tht you posted. Both sounded similar to my issue.

Like you said, it sounds like my options are
- a USB mouse and keyboard ( I have access to a USB mouse to test, but not the keyboard)

- would hitting F8 on startup and selecting last known configuration solve anything. I saw that was suggested, but what are your thoughts on that

- or using the cd with drivers, try installing the appropriate driver that I need

Just curious as to what you would recommend doing / trying first, and second.

Thanks for the input!

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Just curious as to what you would recommend doing / trying first, and second.

My recommendation:
First: Use USB keyboard/mouse to regain the use of the system.
Second: Post for help from the Malware Removal Team to clean and confirm clean and restore the use of your PS/2 keyboard & mouse.

Using LKGC is likely to restore the registry key (if that was deleted/removed) ... BUT, only if done BEFORE actually starting and logging on to Windows. If done afterward, it will have no effect. The other way to restore the registry key is by using Windows System Restore.

The driver file may or may not be missing. If it is missing it can be replaced. You would simply manually replace (copy/paste) the file to its correct location. There's bound to be several copies (perhaps different versions/dates already on the the computer that you could use, but it is also likely to be on the XP installation CD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 December 2011 - 11:41 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

Ok thanks I appreciate your input.

I'll probably try the LKGC just bc it's so simple and hopefully I'll get lucky with that.

I have access to a USB mouse, but that won't be til later in the week. If I had an active mouse, I could probably do more win that on terms or running scans and what not as opposed to a keyboard. If not, I'll prob need to purchase a USB keyboard.

I'm not sure how confident I feel trying to copy the missing driver file or exactly what I would need to do going that route. It's something I will have to look into more.

Thanks again for your continued support

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

OK .. it sounds as though your system is configured to log you on automatically, and Windows has loaded successfully to the Desktop. In that case it is of no use at all attempting LKGC.

If you want to get some progress happening without waiting for USB keyboard/mouse, you could always use xPUD as in the last post of the second link I provided above to check on what has happened to the driver file, but you would need to use a working computer, and as far as I know, you don't have access to one.

The file replacement and the registry restoration can both be accomplished using xPUD.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

I do have access to a fully functioning computer so I have that working for me.

I've been busy getting ready for the holidays, so I haven't had much time to troubleshoot my laptop's issue.

I did try the LKGC setting and like you suggested, that was no use. It didn't do anything.

I probably wont have access to the USB mouse until Friday evening so I'm still stuck like that. In the mean time, I'll continue to look and read through those two links you previously posted.

I have my drivers CD, but I'm not real sure what I'm doing and I don't want to end up reinstalling windows and lose everything.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'll continue to look and read through those two links you previously posted. I have my drivers CD, but I'm not real sure what I'm doing and I don't want to end up reinstalling windows and lose everything. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

:step1: Use xPUD to replace the missing/corrupted file as in post #5

:step2: Use xPUD to perform an off-line system restore of the registry hives as in post #31

That should fix the PS/2 keyboard/mouse problem.

Then post in the Malware Removal forum to have the system checked.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Well after my last post, I tried running xPUD.

Everything went fine downloading it and driver.sh. However, when I tried to boot the sick computer from the CD, it didn't recognize it. I'm not sure why. I've had trouble with my CD lens in in the past, so that could be part of the issue.

Now I'm kind of back to square one...

I'm not sure if I'd know what I was doing if I tried installing the keyboard drive from my Drivers cd, or even if that's possible.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Did you set the boot order to boot first from the CD?

Does tapping F12 during startup get you to the Boot Menu? Otherwise you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS Setup Menu.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

I went into the options on startup and CD/HDD (I think thats how it was listed) was third out of five selections ons startup. I didn't move it to the top of the list, but instead I hit enter to chose that option. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to do it or not..

Also, I have another UPDATE:

Today I connected a USB mouse to my laptop and that worked. It allowed me to move the cursor, something I wasn't able to do using my touchpad previously.

At least I had that function working. My keyboard still isn't working. And I thought the XP Antivirus 2012 virus was removed, but that reappeared again while I was surfing the internet.

So, as it stands now, my laptop still has the virus and keyboard isn't functioning. I can only use the USB mouse to navigate.

I went into the Keyboard in the Control Panel and checked those settings out. I'm not sure if that would help resolve my keyboard use, if I tried to update the driver or use the roll back driver. I'm not familar with either option, but each sounds like a possibility maybe?

When I clicked on driver details, this is what it displayed, showing 2 driver files:

1 - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Provider: Unknown
File version: Unknown
Copyright: Unknown
Digital signer: Not digitally signed.

2 - C\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
Copyright: Microsoft Corporation
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher

I'm not sure if either of those helps. Here were the other options listed in the Keboard under the Control Panel:

Update Driver...( I didn't have the computer drivers disc with me at the time to try and update the driver)
Roll Back Driver _ if the device fails after updating the driver, roll back to the previously installed driver
Uninstall _ To uninstall the driver, advanced.

Do any of those sound feasible?
Also, which issue should be the priority that I'm troubshooting, getting rid of the XP Antivirus 2012 or getting my keyboard (and touchpad) functioning again.

Thanks for all the help.
Happy Holidays
Best Wishes,
Bryan

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

I went into the options on startup and CD/HDD (I think thats how it was listed) was third out of five selections ons startup. I didn't move it to the top of the list, but instead I hit enter to chose that option.

"CD/HDD" is not likely to be correctly reported. Please list what you see as boot options in the menu: It should read something like onboard CD-ROM/Atapi drive ... as the appropriate choice to make. The system should then boot from the CD ... all being well.

If no joy there ...
Check whether or not you can boot from the xPUD CD successfully with your working computer.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

When I hit F12 on start-up, this is the boot-up menu:

1. HDD
2. FDD
3. CD/DVD
4. LAN
5. USB Memory.

I highlighted 3. CD/DVD and hit enter, trying to boot like that. A couple different screens loaded, but it wasn't able to load the disc.

Then, from my normal home screen, I tried to run the xPud program, however I got a prompt saying the D:/ wasn't accessible. The request couldn't be performed because of an I/O device error.

I've seen that prompt before, which I think is b/c my CD drive isn't always functioning properly but that's b/c of a different and unrelated issue that I've had in the past.

Also, I'm attaching a copy of the Combofix log that I ran on Dec. 20. My keyboard and touchpad stopped working immediately after running Combofix.

Edited by bs10, 25 December 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

I highlighted 3. CD/DVD and hit enter, trying to boot like that.

That's good: Please repeat that and describe what happens next and what you see ("a couple different screens loaded": I need to know what those screens displayed).

Please edit your previous post as soon as possible to remove the attached ComboFix log. It is not allowed in this forum to either post or attach that particular log.

You wrote: "which issue should be the priority ... getting rid of the XP Antivirus 2012 or getting my keyboard (and touchpad) functioning again."
The first priority is to gain the use of keyboard & mouse: You can then proceed effectively to deal with the malware infection. It's a bit difficult doing much without the use of a keyboard, as you are no doubt aware.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 bs10

bs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

I apologize for attaching the Combofix log.

I went into the bootup setup, and ran the CD/DVD selection.

Then It goes to a black and white screen, similar to a MSDOS screen. The first one says Initializing and Establishing link.

Then it comes up, PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable.
PXE-MBF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

It then resumes back to the normal startup process

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users