Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop Stuck in Boot Cycle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 danno1840

danno1840

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi there everyone,

Thanks to the amazing advice and help of everyone on this site, I was able to salvage my beloved PC earlier this year. Knowing this, my wife took on a troubled laptop from her sister hoping I would be able to do the same thing. It is an older model but any advice would be appreciated. The computer itself is an HP Compaq nx9010 laptop with Windows XP and a Pentium 4 processor. The trouble is that when the power button is pressed the computer begins a cycle made up of these steps:

1)Black screen that with the hp logo that reads press esc to change boot order, F2 for setup

2)Next is a black screen that says initializing MBA press control, alt, b to configure

3)The third screen is a black screen that lists Argon Boot Agent and preBoot execution copyright info, then it types out: Media Test Failure check cable

4)Fourth up is a black screen that says Windows did not start successfully. Choose Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking or start Windows normally

5)After this the Windows XP icon and loading screen comes up followed by a blue box of text flashing on the screen too quickly to be read. After this happens the laptop restarts itself and goes through the whole process again. It seems to keep doing this until it is manually shut down by holding the power button.

I apologize for my simplistic description but I am nothing close to an expert and wanted it to be plain what it is that I'm seeing. Of course my wife's sister doesn't have any of the discs or material that the machine came with. Is there a way to save this laptop? Help me BleepingComputer! You're my only hope!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

I apologize for my simplistic description

No apology is warranted: If everybody took that meticulously detailed approach to recording and posting information, then it would make life sooooo much easier!!!

Based on items 1), 2) and 3) ... it seems the boot order is messed up and the system is trying to boot from a network connection. To overcome this for the time being, press <Esc> on startup and choose to boot from the hard drive and press <ENTER>.

Immediately:
  • Start tapping the F8 key, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

Ok in the space where the first red box is it reads: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME
In the second red box it says: ***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82B28E30,0x00000000,0x00000000)

#4 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

Ok in the space where the first red box is it reads: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME
In the second red box it says: ***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82B28E30,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Is the interface of the hard drive IDE? Here is an article from Microsoft on this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315403

But yes, I agree with AustrAlien, it is trying to boot off of a network connection, not the hard drive. Changing the boot order in the BIOS would correct this.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Very good: Thank you.

If you have an XP installation CD (any version) available, use that to boot from and load the XP Recovery Console and omit the first step of the instructions below. Press <Esc> on startup and choose to boot from the CD/Atapi/Optical drive.

Please try the following ...

:step1: On a working computer, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick the appropriate selection, for example: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    • ( Replace "Windows Professional SP2 & SP3" with the OS required. <<< IMPORTANT)
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft: Please accept.
  • You will see a few DOS screens flash by: This is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files: Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.)
:step2: On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.
  • Insert the newly created XP Recovery Console CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
(Still using <Esc> > hard drive on startup: We'll fix that next if all goes well.)
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

I used the Windows XP Installation disc that came with my Dell and followed your instructions. When I pressed R to enter the Recovery Console I wasn't asked anything about which installation to use or a password. The C prompt was just C:\> but I tried the chkdsk /r anyway. The first time it got to 61% before giving the message that "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." I restarted the machine and went through the entire thing again but this time it only got to 25% before giving me the same message.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

Please test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working).The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi there. I just wanted to say that I have not given up on this laptop, just got busy with the holidays. I'm going to buy a pack of blank discs tomorrow so I can run the diagnostic and report back. Thanks!!

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

No worries! :thumbup2:
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 gramacar

gramacar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hello all. This is my 1st post and I am glad I found you. I have a HP Compaq NX9010 laptop that recently came up with a problem.

It keeps booting into bios. I tried to reset the bios to default settings and then saved the changes but nothing. In the next boot

it goes to bios without pressing any keys. I also changed the boot sequence puting the cd rom as first boot device and put a  boot cd inside

but still nothing. I also checked the f2 key in case it was stacked but no it is ok. Do you have any ideas? I would appreciate any suggestion.

Sorry for my poor english and thanks again.

john

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hello all. This is my 1st post and I am glad I found you. I have a HP Compaq NX9010 laptop that recently came up with a problem.

It keeps booting into bios. I tried to reset the bios to default settings and then saved the changes but nothing. In the next boot

it goes to bios without pressing any keys. I also changed the boot sequence puting the cd rom as first boot device and put a  boot cd inside

but still nothing. I also checked the f2 key in case it was stacked but no it is ok. Do you have any ideas? I would appreciate any suggestion.

Sorry for my poor english and thanks again.

john

john, welcome to BC Forums!

So that your issue will receive proper exposure, it would be best to start a new thread, in the same section. Some may see this is old & overlook it.

Here is the Welcome guide for your reference. It contains a lot of important information for new members.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/welcome-guide/

Thanks for your understanding & choosing BC Forums for advise.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 07 June 2014 - 01:07 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 gramacar

gramacar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:17 AM

Thanks a lot for your advice

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users