Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tray Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clint_Tech

Clint_Tech

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Running a Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7 Home Premium.
I cannot get the system tray (notification area) to work properly. I have it set to show all icons, but the only ones it shows are volume, power, and wireless. When I plug in a flash drive the safely remove icon shows up. But that's it, my main problem is I have Avast installed but for some reason it doesn't start in the systray automatically, it shows up after I actually open the Avast GUI. But, after I reboot the machine, the icon is gone again.

I have tried fixing the System tray by going through the registry and removing the IconStreams and PastIconStreams Values, but that didn't work.

I have tried the MSFixit for fixing the systray, but that didn't work either.

I have also tried what has worked for me in the past, if I uninstall Avast, reboot, then reinstall Avast and reboot then the icon stays there, but that doesn't work this time. I even Uninstalled Avast, reboot, then used the Avast Cleanup tool, reboot, ran ccleaner, reboot, reinstalled Avast, rebooted and still didn't help. Which is what leads me to the problem being the system tray rather then Avast.

This is really quite frustrating lol, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Clint_Tech, 20 December 2011 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clint_Tech

Clint_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Well I guess I will leave this here for reference for anyone who has this problem.

I found the problem to be with avast.

I don't know why it wasn't working, but at least I figured it out.

Using System Repair Engineer I found the startup entry in the registry for Avast is:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
String = avast
Value = "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

and it was correct, BUT I created this:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
String = avast1
Value = "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

which is the exact same just called avast1 instead of avast

I rebooted the machine and my problem is now solved. Unfortunately I cannot spend the time to find out why it doesn't work as it was, so I guess you can call this a workaround.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

Are you certain Avast is now starting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users