Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new pc - no wifi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rocrex

rocrex

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

My grandson's new ASRock pc Win7 64bit shows an X thru Network connection. We've unable to set up a connection to WiFi or internet.
- Connecting to the network diagnostics just states network cable is unplugged. Plugging router directly to PC doesn't solve problem.
- setting up a new connection (Wan Miniport PPP0E)results in error 651
- Device Manager shows NVIDIA nForce Networking controller, "device working properly", with driver 2008 version. I can't update driver, as no WiFi connection. Nvidea, accessed from a connected laptop requires a downloaded manager to compare network driver against its database. And I'm sure where to look to find exact adapter model in the PC.

My Vista laptop connects to WiFi (Linksys router), which brings in satellite dish broadband, with no problem.

Not sure where to go next as I'm totally unfamiliar with Win7. Any help available?

Edited by rocrex, 20 December 2011 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

We've unable to set up a connection to WiFi or internet.

Hi -
Have you contacted your Internet Provider to see if there are settings that they require on the computer -

Thank You -
Answers . Microsoft Similar but more details -

From Here
Some advice, but they still contacted their ISP -

Edited by noknojon, 20 December 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#3 rocrex

rocrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Win 7 is NOT detecting the Linksys router; I'm trying to get it to connect to WiFi - there is no problem between the router and Inet provider. That's working correctly, as I can access it on my Vista laptop via WiFi.
Research indicates that Error 651 is a common occurence, and Win7 diagnostics/troubleshooting directs me to Wan Miniport PPP0E - which has to do with dialup, not wifi or broadband. So the error is in Network settings which seem to point the computer to PPP0E, rather than router, as I see it.

I've been to both the links you suggested - both state they have resolved the problem only temporarily. Both suggest possibly replacing raspppoe.sys -(which is used by dial-up, not wifi). Also there is no raspppoe.sys in my systems folder.

But thank you for trying.

Edited by rocrex, 20 December 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#4 rocrex

rocrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

So I can connect to the Internet via ethernet cable.
But still no WiFi connection......

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

Win 7 is NOT detecting the Linksys router; I'm trying to get it to connect to WiFi - there is no problem between the router and Inet provider.
That's working correctly, as I can access it on my Vista laptop via WiFi

Do you have the correct passwords to access your modem and set the Win 7 up ??

For Windows 7. This worked for me (from the basic setup book of my ISP) -
1 Click on the Wireless Network icon in your system tray.
2 A menu will appear with the Wireless Networks currently in range.Look for the name of your Wireless Network, and click on it.
3 Ensure the Connect Automatically option is ticked, and then click on the Connect button.

If these directions do not match your setup, then your ISP is the one to contact -

Thank You -

#6 rocrex

rocrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Passwords definitely correct. There is no wireless icon in taskbar tray. That is the problem.
I connected cable from PC to router, and opened Iexplore.
It started Microsoft update download automatically.

I'll try disconnecting the cable and restarting the PC. then take another look at Network sharing.
Keeping fingers crossed.

#7 rocrex

rocrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Rebooted - still no wireless icon. Its not even showing in the Customize tray icons.
Next I'll try manually connecting to hidden network (even tho router is in front of me, I;m not sure where to find its configuration).
I apologize for not make the link live ....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/wired-and-wireless-network-connection-problems-in-windows

1.Click the Start button , click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Set up a new connection or network.
2.Click Manually connect to a wireless network, and then click Next.
3.Type the network name (network ID, or SSID).
4.Choose the security type, or, if your wireless network doesn't have security enabled, select No authentication (Open).
5.Choose the encryption type. If your security type is WPA2-PSK(AES), select AES. Otherwise, leave the default value selected by Windows 7.
6.Type the security key. For WEP security, use the WEP key. For WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK (AES), use the preshared key.
7.To automatically connect to the network each time you start Windows, select the Start this connection automatically and Connect even if the network is not broadcasting check boxes.
8.Click Next, and then click to close the connection verification window.

Well, went to Network sharing, but there isn't a Manually connect. Troubleshoot Network Adapterjust tells me my cable is unplugged.
Bahhhhhhh!!!!!

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

Hi again - (Link is live and good) -
I think that you can now see that there are several ways to connect "by the book" - - - -
My ISP uses 10.1.1.1 to set up my modem and logons, yours may use 192.168.1.1 to set up yours.

The people at your ISP deal only with this problem and you pay for the service in your account.
This is why I think a 10 min call to your ISP will sort out the problem a lot quicker.
They fixed my Win 7 when I just changed ISP 2 weeks ago because I could not understand the directions fully -

>>""There is no wireless icon in taskbar tray. That is the problem.""<<
My XP has no wireless icon in taskbar, but it already existed in my Win 7 as the 4 or 5 bar steps (like pictured).

#9 rocrex

rocrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

So... just called Tech Support where PC was purchased, who said:
"All our PCs are sold WITHOUT a wireless card.
Most desktops are sold without wireless, need to be hard wired to Internet.
Most laptops Do have wireless."

What absolute stupidity.... I didn't think anyone sold a PC without wireless...especially a gaming PC, as gamers often attend Gamer Tournaments.
Moral - go to the source - would have saved me a huge headache!

Edited by rocrex, 21 December 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:28 AM

I should have asked for a Speccy snapshot of the system earlier -
Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread:
It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

Report of <ASROCK-PC> Link to ASRock PC Specs (Very long page)
Network Adapter Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (192.168.0.194)
[ Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter ] <<<-- (can be installed)
Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Technology
Network Adapter Properties:
Network Adapter Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter
Interface Type 802.11 Wireless Ethernet
Hardware Address 74-F0-6D-20-E1-70
Connection Name Wireless Network Connection
Connection Speed 300 Mbps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users