Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Kybd or Mouse Function at XP login screen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 krMitchell

krMitchell

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

The problem I am having is that when Windows XP gets to the logon screen, the mouse pointer will not move and the keyboard does not let me tab to be able to logon.

This problem started yesterday after I was hit with the "XP Security 2012" virus. I was able to disable the virus and ran an Avira virus scan. The scan found two problems (can't remember the file names). I allowed it to remove the files. When I shutdown the computer and restarted it and got to the logon screen, the mouse and keyboard no longer would function. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does not work. Only way to shutdown is hold the Power button in.

I tried to get to the Safe Start with command prompt in order to run System Restore, but with I selected "Safe Start with Command Prompt", it goes to another logon screen with Administrator and my logon name, but still the same problem of no mouse or keyboard function. Never got a command prompt.

Another odd symptom is that after the PC is shutdown, the Num Lock LED remains on and the led in the Optical Mouse is on.

Any clue as to how to fix this? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

I am guessing that the keyboard/mouse driver and registry entry have been removed. I am also guessing that you are using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

Do you have a USB connected keyboard/mouse. If so, connect them and they will most likely work.

If you don't have a USB keyboard/mouse, then please try to borrow/buy them.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 December 2011 - 03:26 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

I don't have a USB keyboard but I did replace the mouse with a USB mouse, but still had the same problem.

Question: If I could replace my C: drive with another Windows XP drive, so I could restart the PC, then move the original C: drive to another slot (say E:), could I then replace the driver and fix the registry entries on the original drive?

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

I did replace the mouse with a USB mouse, but still had the same problem.

Let me check one small detail: How is the USB mouse connected?
Is it plugged into a USB port on the computer, or did you use a USB to PS/2 adapter, and still have the USB mouse plugged into the PS/2 port on the back of the computer box?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

I plugged the USB mouse directly into a USB port on the front of the PC.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hmmm .... it is looking as though my first guess was not correct. In order to double-check, would you please connect the USB mouse to one of the rear USB ports, and then power off the system.

Start the computer again. Does the USB mouse work/respond?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Mouse still did not work plugged into rear USB port.

#8 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Corredtion!!!! Mouse did work plugged into rear USB port, but keyboard still does not work. I can't enter the login password.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Very good! It seems that my guess was close to the mark.

Are you able to get hold of a USB keyboard? That is likely to be the quickest and easiest solution for you at this stage.

If not, I think I remember a little trick to be able to use the on-screen keyboard with the mouse .... but am not 100% sure. I will have to look for it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

There is one other possibility that just may fix the problem ... and is worth a try.

Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
When you get to the log on screen, can you now use the keyboard?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

It will take awhile to get hold of a USB keyboard. Once that is done, is the next thing I should do is restore to a previous restore point?

#12 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Is running the "Last known good configuration" from the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen the same as restoring to the last restore checkpoint?

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

is the next thing I should do is restore to a previous restore point?

That would most likely restore your PS/2 keyboard & mouse function ... along with the infection?

The infection that you have sustained is most likely a rootkit, and as such, I suggest that your best course of action at this stage would be to enlist some expert help to clean the system and confirm that it is clean, and restore your PS/2 keyboard/mouse function.

You will need some expert assistance to deal with the issue, so please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.

You asked: "Is running the "Last known good configuration" from the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen the same as restoring to the last restore checkpoint?"
No, not entirely, but what LKGC does is very similar to part of what a Windows System Restore would do. LKGC restores the registry to how it was the last time you were able to log into Windows successfully.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 krMitchell

krMitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

I ran the "Last known good configuration" from the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen but the keyboard still does not work. I guess the next thing is trying a USB keyboard, right?

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

I have to assume from that .... Avira really did remove the keyboard/mouse PS/2 driver as well as the registry key.

Yes ... a USB keyboard would be good.

I will have a look for a possible on-screen keyboard option to log on ... right now. Will let you know if I can find it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users