Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Directories Empty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hello,

I have recently removed the System Fix virus, and rootkit.zero.access using the guides on Bleeping Computer. I have ran unhide.exe and combofix after the machine was cleaned. Now all of my directories in the start menu appear to be empty. This machine is a Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 machine. I have tried everything that I could find on the guides to fix this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shadow Rider

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hello, please run the item below that matches your system.

Windows Vista 32-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/vista-32-sm-reset.exe

Windows Vista 64-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/vista-64-sm-reset.exe
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I have ran the program that best fits my system. It restored the start menu to its factory condition just like it was suppose to however, I still have empty directories within my start menu and no quick launch buttons on the start bar; the quick launch tool bar is enabled. I am going to attempt to post a screen shot. Thank you again. I hope we can get this fixed. I have been itching to come up with a solution for this problem awhile now.

Thanks Again,

Shadow Rider

#4 Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Sorry dont see a place where I can attach the file containing my screenshot.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

You cannot attach here but you can Insert An Image Within A Post
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I have decided to perform a reinstall on the machine. I usually use a reinstall as a last resort. I started digging around on the machine; apparently there was more damaged than just the shortcuts in the start menu. I went to the programs folder directly and tried to run different programs on the machine. The only way I could actually fix the programs was to take and perform a repair on them. I have a ton of programs on this machine. I felt that restoring it would insure that everything on the machine was working correctly.

Thanks,

Shadow Rider

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thank you for letting us know.
Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users