Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Windows XP and Temp Folder.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrbladedude

mrbladedude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Every time I turn my PC on and Log in I check my Temp Folder and it has all this crap in it. Besides just deleting it all like I do every day, would there happen to be an easier way? And why is this happening anyway?

It also says I have 1 hidden File. I have not messed with the hidden file. Should I delete it or is it of some importance?

Below are links to the screenshots it took.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/rc3mil/TEMPFOLDER.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/rc3mil/TEMPFOLDER2.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/rc3mil/HIDDENFILE.jpg

Issue number 2.

I am trying to Install a trial version of Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 but it wont continue unless I remove my McAfee Antivirus from the PC. I am happy with McAfee and am only installing Kaspersky to run a scan on my PC one time to compare the 2 antivirus programs. I have disabled McAfee from both the Startup and Services tabs in the System Configuration Utility accessed via MSCONFIG .

Kaspersky still wants to remove it...

How can I temporarily disable McAfee or trick Kaspersky into thinking McAfee isnt installed on my PC?

Thanks to all that answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

1) You should never have two different AV's installed at the same time.

2) McAfee is, in my opinion, worthless. I know you say you like it, but I'd suggest replacing it with something else.

#3 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

A good (free) utility for removing junk from your system is CCleaner. It also performs a "clean-up" pass on the registry.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

(Click on Download from FileHippo......, in the PayPal box)

Alternate Download;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

When the next window opens, click "Download Latest Version" on the right of the page.

(I always opt OUT of the YaHoo Toolbar install.)

Once you download and install it, open the program then click on (left hand side) OPTIONS, then COOKIES. Any cookies you want to save (trusted sites, places you have usernames/passwords), highlight them in the left column, then (using the directional arrows between the panes), move them to the right hand column under "Cookies to keep".

Still under Options, click on Advanced. Remove the check mark from the box for "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours".

Leave all other settings at the default.

Then click on Cleaner (on the top left). When that window opens, click on Run Cleaner (bottom right of the window.)

When it finishes, close CCleaner, and restart your machine. (Some files will not be deleted until a restart is performed.)

I do not advocate running CCleaner on each boot. I run it once or twice a week.

ALSO:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Open it, click on Clean The Registry, then OK.

Once it's finished, along the bottom of the screen, (near the operation progress bar) click on Select, choose "Select All". Then click on Action, then "Delete selected items".

All deleted items will be backed up, just click OK for the default backup filenames/locations.

Close the program and restart the machine.

NOTE: This is a powerful tool. It has many other settings/tools/tweaks. Use more than what is mentioned above at your own volition/risk.

I agree that McAfee is junk. I use Avast;
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Edited by Dan Penny, 21 December 2011 - 02:46 PM.

It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

<<A good (free) utility for removing junk from your system is CCleaner. It also performs a "clean-up" pass on the registry.>>

I've never found it necessary to install a program...to do what I can do manually within Windows. A few days ago, I did use Temp File Cleaner as a test and I will probably use it again in the future.

As for running the "registry cleaner" of Ccleaner...the registry does not need "cleaning."

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:[list]

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#5 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

For the record, I've been running CCleaner and RegSeeker on my three machines (two Desktops & a Laptop) since 2005. I've never had a problem on any machine. (I also maintain machines for a number of friends and my Landlord.) I'm a contributor to at least nine Help Forums (Moderator on one) and never had a negative "feedback" about these tools.

RegSeeker usually reports and removes (YOUR choice on removal) over 300 useless keys. It's a fact that the bigger the registry, the longer it takes to read/check and therefore longer to complete a machine boot to the O/S.

I'm glad to see elements/links were not removed from the post, and members can choose what they wish to do with the information provided through the forums.
It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've never found it necessary to install a program...to do what I can do manually within Windows.

Couldn't agree more.

#7 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

for inexperienced users, let me make a distinction between 'cleaning' temp files, and 'fixing' registry errors.
the registry part makes your computer work. the temp files are just deposited by programs that need that space
temporarily. so 'fixing' the registry can delete needed entries for your computer to even run programs.

as a safety net, in case users just press delete for every error in the registry,
erunt is a good registry backup program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users