Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Freezing At Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Djgogglehead

Djgogglehead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:19 AM

Hi. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My windows basically died recently. A knowledgeable friend installed a new copy of windows for me and gave it back. Only now it freezes when it gets to the desktop screen after startup. I can start it in safe mode. Ive also tried system restore but there was nothing to restore it to. He didnt give me a copy of the disc he used so i really dont know what to do. My original restore discs are at home but will they work now that he installed a new windows. I want to know if my best bet is to just go out and buy a new copy of windows because I will do that if I know it would fix it. Is it even a windows problem? Could it be hardware? Im so confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:25 AM

If by "restore" disks you mean the destructive restore disk provided by the computer manufacturer to return the PC to the condition it was in when new, ie - Your operating system, software bundle, drivers, etc, then using it would do exactly that. Actually, that's what should have been used in the first place. The manufacturer's restore disk came with the correct drivers for your video card, sound card, manufacturer's proprietary software, etc, which a generic new Windows install disk may not have.

If you have added hardware since your computer was new you would have to provide the drivers for it - reinstall the software that came with it.

Also, you would need to update from whatever state the original op system came with (like SP1 to SP2 for example) and reinstall whatever software you have added since you got the computer.

Before you connect to the net make sure your firewall is enabled. It was not enabled by default until SP2 for XP, and make sure your anti-virus program is in place and operating.

Edited by Enthusiast, 06 February 2006 - 02:28 AM.

#3 Djgogglehead

Djgogglehead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

Okay. So would I be right in assuming that these discs will totally reinstall windows. The impression I got was that they just restore the original version of windows so would they still work with a new windows installed. Would it even be possible that windows is okay its just other programs getting in the way since I can get on in safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users