Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building a computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 liz howell

liz howell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

We got a bare bones kit.
We put everything together.
We have not installed the operating system yet
When we try and turn it on the light is red.
We think we did not put the pins in correctly.
Help
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Which particular light are you referring to? Does the computer not boot properly?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

We got a bare bones kit.
We put everything together.
We have not installed the operating system yet
When we try and turn it on the light is red.
We think we did not put the pins in correctly.
Help
Thank you

A little more detail will be needed in order to help out. Which bare bones kit?
What light is red.
Which pins are you referring to?
What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Cheers

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Which particular light are you referring to? Does the computer not boot properly?

I suppose he's referring to the LED(s) some motherboards include for troubleshooting/testing purposes?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

I suppose he's referring to the LED(s) some motherboards include for troubleshooting/testing purposes?

It's possible. These days I prefer the ones with displays that give the post progress on a two (three) digit lcd display on the mother board.

One other possibility is they bolted the motherboard down nice and tight to the case with no brass standoffs or they put extra brass standoffs where they shouldn't have. I've seen both when troubleshooting someone elses build for them.

Where I am I also used to see barebones kits that were pre-assembled to the point where you just put memory and drives and done. The motherboard would have been mounted and tested before you ever bought them.

Cheers

Edited by rotor123, 22 December 2011 - 12:46 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

I was thinking myself that since he said he might have put the pins in backward, he was referring to the HDD activity light. It is often red and stays on if you attach the plug to the header backward.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users