Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop upgrade options

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lmab10

Lmab10

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

I have a Dell Inspirion E1505 thats now 5 yrs old. It at times show signs of aging like slow processing or freezing, won't shutdown right away, sometimes a blue screen appears, can't keep up with real time strategy games (empire earth, C&C)etc. I think/know that they build these machines to shutdown after a prescribed amount of time. Then you are forced to buy a new one. I planned to buy something new much later in the future but for now I was wondering if anyone could suggest some upgrades that I may look into for this current laptop. Also, my laptop is windows vista compatible, so I may consider upgrading to that OS. However, I was really wondering is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 instead? What would be needed? I think its possible to boost RAM to keep up with some demanding software programs, newer games but I'm not sure of the limit, any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

This will get the specs of your computer.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

If your computer can run Vista, it can run Windows 7. Given how you're on XP, you need to do a clean install using either a Windows 7 upgrade, full retail, or OEM/system builder disc. Windows Vista and 7 work best with 2GB or more of RAM, however, if your laptop supports 4GB, I would suggest that. Note, however, that 32-bit operating systems can only use less than 4GB of RAM, about 3GB to 3.5GB or so depending on configuration. For anything above 4GB of RAM, a 64-bit opersting system is needed. Unfortunately, according to Intel's site, your CPU, the Intel Core Duo Processor T2500, is not 64-bit compatible, so you're limited to 4GB or less of memory. Since that is the case, this 32-bit version is what you need to get started. Because this is a clean install, all of your files and programs will be deleted, so save what you need to before beginning.

3939.png

#4 Lmab10

Lmab10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for your replies. I can't download that software right now. I'm currently getting help with cleaning it free of malware. All I can post is the system information that I wrote down a while back.

System:
Windows XP MCE ver. 2002 SP3
Dell Inspiron I6400
Intel® Core 2
T5600@1.83GHz
987MHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

So with this info, do you guys get a better picture of my laptop and any potential upgrades?

I probably need to get a new video card too

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:46 AM

The maximum amount of memory the laptop can detect is 2GB. So you would have to purchase another 1GB ram module. You generally can't upgrade the video card of most laptops.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

The problem is the limitations of that machine are not something easily correctable.

1gig of memory (- whatever is shared for video) will run XP MCE fine. My old lappy is testament to that. The problem is time catches up to everything. Internet Explorer slugs those old systems down at default settings. Same thing for your RTS games. Games, internet and programs in general have become bigger resource hogs while your lappy's hardware has remained constant. Add into that the garbage that accumulates in the OS over time, and you are likely having a miserable experience.

What is your CPU use at idle? CPU use/mem usage during games? How many processes at idle? More than 35?

An "upgrade" to Vista or WIN7 is going to eat more CPU time, and require a memory upgrade, and even then sometimes it will be like swimming in molasses in winter no matter how much memory you have. Checked out prices on old DDR memory yet?

If it were mine: Back up everything you want, and do a clean install with all the latest and greatest drivers. Decrapify it if neccessary in case you don't have an actual OEM WIN XP MCE disk instead of a "restore" disk/partition. Find out how fast/slow it is when it is clean. Can you live with it? If you can't, think real hard about about an i3 powered lappy with 4 gigs of RAM that will be on sale after Christmas. I wouldn't put another penny into your current setup inless the parts were free, or darned near.

Edited by dpunisher, 21 December 2011 - 11:35 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Lmab10

Lmab10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a desktop that I recently acquired from my wife's employer that went out of business. Its custom built and I don't know what its all capable off. My wife claims that it was fast and good enough to handle all the work she did. But it seems a bit slow too me and I'm thinking about upgrading it as well.

I think the procedure is to start a new topic on this and so that is what I will do at later time. Thanks again, for your advice.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

When you do post a new topic for the desktop, you should include speccy which would give us a better understanding of the system itself and what can be upgraded.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users