Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could This Be A Router Problem Or Just My Isp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

Okay this has happened a few times previous to right now and I know that our cable internet provider seems to be having some troubles with their services my friends and I all have been having trouble with internet from them.

Internet setup is, the modem goes to the router which then connects to a computer in the same room then a connection from the router goes across the entire house into my room and its not a wireless router.

When I can tell its happening is when every minute or two, I get a message saying that internet is down (the awsome "The internet has been unplugged from your computer" message). It goes away just about instantly like nothing had happened. The easiest way to describe it is the internet has the hickups or something like that.

I'd imagine that this is just more crap from our ISP but I just want to be certain.

Also another sort of related question, is it a router problem or more an ISP thing if I can't stay connected to an MMORPG game called Conquer Online. What happens is that the game is setup in some spots where (espeically with trying to level up without being at your computer) you can just let the game run while you do something (like mine for gems which you can sell or level up in a special training grounds area). Especially with trying to level up because once you get very high level it can take like a day or two just to level up when staying in the training grounds (its much less experience than if you go out and kill things yourself though). A long time ago I was able to leave my character doing something for as long as I wanted. Now, I can't even stay connected after I leave it alone, I find that I've hardly gained any experience and I'm guessing that it disconnected after an hour or less or up to two hours. I know that part of the reason is server traffic but, could my router and/or ISP be causing trouble too?

Thanks,
Wizdabest

*edit* yea not reading over it untill it's actually posted...

Edited by Wizdabest, 05 February 2006 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

I would just go ahead and give your isp A call and tell them the same thing. Also: does this happen with the other computer? If it is ISP problems then the other computer's connection would drop as well.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

I wouldnt say this is a router problem, because your connection usually doesnt boot you off like that. Im betting 95% on an isp problem. Wait a day, then call them, if not resolved in a week. Switch ISP's

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

Are you just connecting 1 computer or more then 1??
If more then 1 computer, does this happen on all the computers??
Have you tried plugging straight into the modem, bypassing the router??
This will elimate the router if the problem is still there.
Desktop or Laptop??
Do you have a different cable to try??
If you have more Network connections listed in the network properties that you are not using try disabling them. (ie: wireless, 1394, dialup)

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

If you're near the end of the cable run - signal loss will do funky things to your connection.

1) Call the ISP and have them test your lines
2) Split the cable where it enters the house with a quality 2 prong splitter. Run one line directly to the cable modem (the other can go to all the TV's) and you'll see a lot less problems with your connection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users