Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell desktop will not start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Childcareguy47

Childcareguy47

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

My Dell desktop computer beeps and the power light blinks but the monitor screen remains blank. Not even a flicker on the monitor. I have checked the connections. The computer was working a couple of weeks ago, and was left turned off. When I tried to power up tonight, nothing but beeps and blinks.

After I push the power button, the front panel light blinks steadily once per second, no pause. The computer beeps four (4) times, in sync with the blinking light, then pauses for two seconds -- no beep -- then it beeps four (4) more times, pauses, then four more beeps, etc, on and on. The monitor screen remains blank.

When I push the power button again, the machine quickly shuts down, the fan stops, the blinking and beeping stop. I DO NOT need to hold down the power button to shut down the computer.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Childcareguy47, 20 December 2011 - 01:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

Beep codes and Diagnostic lights http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op745/en/ug_en/trouble.htm#wp1120374
What color does the power button displays? Tried changing the CMOS battery?

Tekken

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Hi -
This only relates to the Dell beep codes.
OK, so if you are getting 3 sets of 4 beeps? 3X That's the cache test failure beep
Run the System Board Devices tests in the Dell Diagnostics, you can access the diagnostics by pressing f12 key on startup and booting to the utility partion.
Post any error codes.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users