Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TRYING TO RECOVER LOST VIDEO FILES

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bluefox76

Bluefox76

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

I have a 1 GB SD memory card (terribly outdated and problematic, I know) but I shot some pictures and footage with my Samsung l210 camera last weekend and this is the type of card it uses. Yesterday I attempted to upload some video to youtube and it wouldn't work... youtube kept saying it didn't recognize the files, even though they're avi, a format they use. The card was in a usb card reader attached to my laptop. I pulled the photos off of the card into a folder on my desktop and tried again but it still wouldn't work. Today I checked the folder in my computer and I was able to view the pix and video thumbnails in the drive folder. I moved the files back onto the card and decided instead I would take the card to my other computer and burn a dvd. When I attempted to open the files to burn them on my other computer, I got a message saying the disk was not formatted and did I want to format it. I did not. I tried the card in a few different computers and got the same message.

I've been on several different forums reading about how to recover lost or corrupted files FOR HOURS since this has happened. The files shouldn't be gone, but from I've read it sounds like somehow the card converted the info into RAW files.... maybe. I have tried the programs test disk and photorec, which did get me back some older images that were on the card, but none of the video or pix from Saturday. I also tried Pandora and it didn't recognize the drive the card was in. I tried a different card reader and refreshed the drive list. I received a message saying it was unable to read any of the drives on the reader. Next I tried Flash Recovery and it also didn't read the drive, but showed a message saying Drive Not Ready. It was never ready, it seemed the program didn't recognize any drive I tried. Next I installed Recova which seemed to see the drive, but said it was unable to read the boot sector. Lastly, I installed ZAR which stated that it recovered RAW files in the program description and could hopefully get past this boot sector issue. ZAR restored the exact same files as Test Disk as well as one minute of a 6 minute video file. I've found some other software, but I'm unable to preview or save any recovered files without purchasing the program; which I can't even be sure works.

In the past when I've had trouble getting files off a card, I took the card to a photo processing place where I could transfer large files onto a disc, but if I can't even see them, I don't think they would see them either. I'm nervous that someone would format the card. I've seen some other software that says it will recover deleted files, so I don't know if I should just format the disk and try that or what I should do. I'm really at my wits end!!

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

PS.. I have a laptop running windows xp.. my friend with a mac thinks if I give him the card it will open for him, but I doubt it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:03 AM

You could try one of the recovery programs suggested here:

Best Free File Recovery Software for Windows
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

This list of programs that you sent me is not helpful. I already ran numerous programs like the ones you sent ALL DAY yesterday to no avail. I need the correct tool for the job, but I don't know what the problem is with the card, so I'm not sure which of these programs to use. I was hoping that someone would be able to answer some of the theories I listed in my original post such as: has the card converted the content to RAW files or is the problem that the boot sector is corrupt? Is it both? In addition, most of these programs (like ADRC Data Recovery) have different tools like undelete, raw copy, boot builder, etc. There is a warning "please be aware that wrong use of the software may result in data corruption" so without some expert help, I don't want to run any more programs. I need someone to tell me exactly what to do so I don't damage the card making it impossible to recover my files.

I know it's the holiday season and everyone is busy, but I would sure appreciate if someone could give me a few moments of their time for some detailed instruction on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance!

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

This list of programs that you sent me is not helpful. I already ran numerous programs like the ones you sent ALL DAY yesterday to no avail. I need the correct tool for the job, but I don't know what the problem is with the card, so I'm not sure which of these programs to use. I was hoping that someone would be able to answer some of the theories I listed in my original post such as: has the card converted the content to RAW files or is the problem that the boot sector is corrupt? Is it both? In addition, most of these programs (like ADRC Data Recovery) have different tools like undelete, raw copy, boot builder, etc. There is a warning "please be aware that wrong use of the software may result in data corruption" so without some expert help, I don't want to run any more programs. I need someone to tell me exactly what to do so I don't damage the card making it impossible to recover my files.

I know it's the holiday season and everyone is busy, but I would sure appreciate if someone could give me a few moments of their time for some detailed instruction on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance!

So...you have tried recuva ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

I would try to run a Linux LiveCD preferably Ubuntu and see if the card can be read from within linux., It maybe able to, because I have had great success reading supposed corrupted drives in Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

I would try to run a Linux LiveCD ... and see if the card can be read from within linux.

That would be my first suggestion also. However, I can no longer recommend Ubuntu to a Windows user since the adoption of the Unity Desktop in the latest version of Ubuntu: Instead I include my recommendations for a Linux version below. These are much more user-friendly to a Windows user.
Edit: Ignore the reference to Mint 11. The latest version is Mint 12.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

Edited by AustrAlien, 21 December 2011 - 04:47 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Just read the last reply.. I don't really understand any of what you wrote. I'm not a computer novice, but I am far from being anywhere close to an expert. I know Linux is another operating system, but I don't know about bios or whatever a LIVE CD is or how loading one of those programs is supposed to help me get files from a memory card. The information is for recovering files from Windows from either a bootable or non-bootable computer. Not sure how this applies to my predicament. Maybe I'm wrong and one of these programs can help me, but even if this is the case, I have no instruction on how to use this program to recover my video files from a card. So let me put it this way.. I need someone to explain what I need to do as though I am 10 years old. I need someone to tell me step by step EXACTLY how to use one of these programs. It would also be helpful to me to know what is wrong with the card, so I can select the correct software or tools within the software to recover my files.

So if someone can tell me:
*what causes these cards to malfunction this way? (so I can avoid it in the future)
*Was the content of the card some how converted to RAW files?
*If anyone out there has any idea as to why I was able to recover older images from last month, but for some reason, not the most recent files from last Saturday, I would like to hear your theories. Is it because I transferred them from card to laptop back to card? If so, can I try to recover from my laptop?
*Recuva said it was unable to read the boot sector (whatever that is) Is a boot sector something that needs to be repaired and then I can use Recuva to get the video files? If so, please let me know how to fix boot sectors.
*Some of the recommended software sent to me is to recover deleted files, these files ARE NOT deleted. Should I format the card and then try to recover? Would this be a way around the boot sector issue?
*Would it make a difference to use a MAC to view the files?
*Would it make a difference if I brought the card to a photo processing place where they have more powerful computers or card readers?

Once again, I need someone to tell me exactly what to do- DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS- so I don't damage the card making it impossible to recover my files. Please read my original posts which give ALL the software I have already tried and all the error messages I received.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users