Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost files on portable hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew1559

Andrew1559

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

HI,

I copied my files (pics,vids,documents) onto my portable hard drive and now when I plugin my drive to usb and open the external drive it doesn't have any of my files on it. When I go to properties on the drive the same amount of space is used as what I loaded onto it, but none of the files are on the drive. Can anyone please help?
Thanks
Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

Can you check disk management for the drive? Right-click My computer and choose manage-storage-disk management. What is the file type and status of external drive? Checl also plug and play is on automatic startup under Services and Applications-Services under disk management.

Tekken

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

A couple of things:

1. Have you tried connecting the External HDD to a different USB port? How about a different computer?

2. Try accessing the contents of the External HDD using a LiveCD. If accessible, backup your data first.

3. Try using a data recovery program to see if it's able to read the content on your drive and subsequently help you recover it.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 20 December 2011 - 03:24 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Andrew1559

Andrew1559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

The status is healthy and the file type is NTFS. I don't have another computer to test the drive on.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Was there any instance that it was unplugged/bumped while being used? Can you try toggling show/hide hidden folders under folder options, view tab?

Tekken

#6 Andrew1559

Andrew1559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:06 AM

No it wasn't even touched while I moved files onto it. I can't find a show or hidden files tab on any of the options with this drive.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:54 AM

Go to Control Panel - Folder Option - View and check Show Hidden Files.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 Andrew1559

Andrew1559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

It worked! I can't thank you enough for your help. I thought it was lost or damaged or gone forever.
Again Thank all of you for your excellent help.
Andrew

#9 Andrew1559

Andrew1559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

As I returned my pics to my computer they have a hazy white almost like a film covering the thumbnail for each, is there any way to fix this?
Thanks again
Andrew

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

On what drive are these pictures being loaded? Is it just a thumbnail or view of pictures in Windows explorer? Have you tried viewing them? Maybe you just need to switch View...

Tekken

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

I'd bet they have the hidden attribute set and that if you reset them to not hidden they'll look normal.

Right click on a image file and choose properties and uncheck the hidden check box.

For multiple files you can click on one then CTRL A to select all and do the same method to unhide all of them.

Or to pick and choose several but not all hold down the CTRL key while clicking on the ones you want.

Edited by rotor123, 24 December 2011 - 03:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 Andrew1559

Andrew1559
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

It worked all pics and vids back to normal. Thank all of you again for all your help!

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

Glad it was that simple. What you were seeing was windows way of telling you the files were hidden.

Be very careful not to go around deleting hidden files. Some are hidden by and used by windows and deletion of them would be a bad thing.

Cheers.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users