Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet incredibly slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

I built a computer for my dad on Friday, hooked it up, installed everything, yadda yadda, and we tried to DL Microsoft Security Essentials, and it DLed at < 2KBps. Every other computer on the network (business network consisting of 2 T1 lines, all wired.) is fine, not extremely fast, but passable. It's just this new one that is unreasonably slow. Anyone have any ideas? (besides updating the network driver, I haven't gotten a chance to do that yet.)

XP Pro, logged into a server account. I haven't tried it on a local account (I should probably do that.)

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

hooked it up, installed everything,

Hi saus -
Did you load it from a new / unused XP CD or a XP SP2 CD ??
Check that you have not installed - Norton - (preinstalled software) and all updates including SP3 are in ADD / REMOVE -

If the updates (about 30 or 40) and SP3 are missing, that is a good place to start.
XP SP2 will not install all updates -

Regards -

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

I am missing norton, and all the updates, when I said everything installed I meant like MSOffice and Quickbooks.

However, those updates will take ages to DL, is there a way to DL the installers onto a flash drive?

EDIT: Not intending to install norton.

Edited by sausage, 20 December 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

I am missing norton, and all the updates, when I said everything installed I meant like MSOffice and Quickbooks.
However, those updates will take ages to DL, is there a way to DL the installers onto a flash drive?
EDIT: Not intending to install norton.

If Norton was on the install CD then it MUST be fully removed, not just ignored -
http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ Start here to make sure it is uninstalled -

Item 2 = NO - You must update to SP3 and install the required updates ASAP -
Using a flash drive will not always get all the updates to download and install fully -

Sorry, Thank You -
EDIT - MSOffice and Quickbooks.- These are Extras not ""installed everything""
Example - Your car will not run without the spark plugs - even if you install leather seats (your Extras) -

Edited by noknojon, 20 December 2011 - 01:57 AM.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, why not? Download the setup (installation) files and copy them to your flash drive.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, why not? Download the setup (installation) files and copy them to your flash drive.

If SP3 is not installed the new updates will not be very good, as mamy are SP3 updates, so the process is best done in the correct manner -
It only takes a short while extra to do it the correct way, and then you know it is going to work.
Where are the updates to be downloaded from (an old computer??), and are any updates already installed on the new system ??

First Check on "Automatic Updates", and see what installs. Then install SP3 (linked at the head of XP Forum area), then complete all updates.
If you cannot do this in one evening then I do not see how you could have the patience to build (assemble) a working computer.

Was this system installed from a clean, new XP CD or a "Cloned" or Bart P.E. system ?? (My money is on the second option)
After many clean, full reinstalls, I have found that by doing 1, 2, 3, works better than 3, 2, 1. -

That is only my version of how to finish a project, if you are serious about the final outcome.
In the time from the first post, up to now, all the correct updates etc would be installed and the system fully OK.

Refer back to Post 1 - ""It's just this new one that is unreasonably slow.... and it DLed at < 2KBps."'

Now complete the final part of the construction and program install, if you can -

Thank You -

#7 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Ok, my dad took the computer back to his office yesterday, DLed the updates, DLed MSSecurityEssentials and updates, ensured the Norton was not installed. It moves faster, though still not as fast as the other computers.

it was an original XP Pro SP2 disc, bought directly from microsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users