Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Hard Disk Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bals

bals

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hi Friends.

I have an issue with my HP Pavilion DV6 Laptop.

HDD: 640GB
Ram: 4GB DDR
Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53 Ghz

The story of my issue started in such a manner.
1. Without any reason the system was tooooooooo slow.
2. When I checked it, I found there are lot of process with the name scvhost.exe.
3. To reduce that I downloaded a shareware malware removal tool and cleaned it. Something(!!) happened but it was better for 1 day.
4. Again it started to give a problem, I tried to use scandisk, diskdefragmenter, chkdisk assuming it will free up unwanted memory and make my laptop faster than above.
5. But things got worser each day. One fine day when I try to login to my system, it gives me an error message saying that my hard disk is affected my Smart Hard Disk error - 808 and I need
to replace the hard disk. I didn't give much importance because i was able to login to my system those days.

Later these type of messages(you have to replace hard disks, you have issues with hard disks) popped up when the system was running. And one point of time, it didn't allow me to login to my system, I tried to logged into my system through safe prompt and it stopped me at classpnp.sys. And I don't have any option to get into my system.

When I try to run Hard disk test, it gives me Smart Hard Disk Error - 808 etc etc and cannot log into my system at all.

One important thing is I haven't drop my laptop anywhere and Im keeping it safely. So there should not be hardware problem, I hope so.

Q: Is this could be a problem of any malware/antivirus and Can it be recovered? or if my hard disk drive is affected and has to be replaced?

Can anyone help me out of it

Best Regards
Bala.

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2011 - 10:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

I downloaded a shareware malware removal tool and cleaned it.

Hi -
Would you mind if I ask the name of the program you D/loaded ??

Thank You -

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

You said "When I try to run Hard disk test, it gives me Smart Hard Disk Error - 808"

Are you talking about the hard drive test built into the CMOS (Bios)?
If not go into the setup program which I believe is F10 on that model. Press F10 when the HP logo appears. There should be a diagnostics page. That should have hard drive and maybe memory tests.

If that is where you got the error then the drive is bad and a bad drive could cause slowdowns. OTOH if it is some program that popped up in windows that is another story.

Keep in mind that it isn't if a hard drive will die, it is when.
Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 20 December 2011 - 12:26 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 bals

bals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hi Noknojon.

I used Spybot search & destroy to clean up my malware.

Regards
Bals

#5 bals

bals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi rotor3.

Yes, I used the HP diagnostics and ran the Hard drive test, but it failed :(
I also tried the CMOS setup test as well.
Is it that I have to change my hard drive now?

Best Regards
Bala

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

If it failed the HP diagnostics then the drive is going bad and needs to be replaced. Backup anything you would not want to lose. Do you have or have you made recovery discs ? If it is still working then I would stop using it if I wanted to be able to clone to a new drive so as to keep everything.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 bals

bals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hi Rotor123.

I have created my recovery disks earlier, but I dont't have now. So Im using Knoppix Live CD to check my data.
Let say I'm replacing my hard disks with new one. Can I still use my existing disks as a backup? Would it run fine?
Because I can able to check my hard disk through this live cd, so Im thinking if it would work as a external hard drive just to have it as a backup drive :)

Best Regards
Bala

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

A drive that is bad should at best be put on the shelf as a backup if it is accessible. It is not reliable and I wouldn't plan on putting anything new onto it and expect it to be there later. I also would not power it and use it.
It could run for a while or totally die tomorrow.

I would save it just because you can still get your data off of it. To me it is a not for use backup. Only to be used if everything else its contents was stored on got lost somehow.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users