Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Upgrade Problems. Blue screens, hangs, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GraysonH_*

Guest_GraysonH_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

The problem summarized: I used an old Windows 7 installation on a completely new machine and it ain't workin' (no surprise really) but I'd like to know what I can do to fix it so that I don't have to reformat.

I'd really appreciate some guidance on this issue. Basically, I have a computer that I'm upgrading. I bought a new CPU, GPU, motherboard, and RAM. I'm using an old hard drive with an existing installation of Windows 7 and I'm reusing my PSU.

So I built the new PC with my new 2500K, MSI motherboard, Radeon 6950 GPU, and g.skill RAM. I threw in the old hard drives and PSU and fired it up. I was told on start up that the RAM amount had changed and that I had to go to the BIOS. I did so, found no problem with the RAM, and rebooted. The computer appeared to load fine until it got to the "Starting Windows" screen with the animated Windows logo on it. It hung on that screen indefinitely, so I tried a startup repair. It appeared to be loading fine until it got to the last screen. It hung again.

It then occurred to me that perhaps the Windows installation already on the hard drive was not compatible with the new hardware. A very good possibility. I did a little trouble shooting by switching in the old GPU, but that didn't do the trick.

In the end, I reassembled my old machine and it's working as it was before. It needed to run Chkdsk and there were some corrupted files in system32 (Yay!) but I think that may be due to me turning off the computer when it was hanging?

Basically, I need some advice as to how I should move forward. Is it possible to do what I'm attempting? Do I have to reformat and just start over? Should I just uninstall some drivers for the old hardware and try again? Thank you for taking the time to help me, I greatly appreciate the assistance.

Edited by GraysonH, 19 December 2011 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

When you rebuild/upgrade a system, you need to RE-INSTALL THE OS to reflect on the new hardware.

Carrying forward an existing installation on your new hardware simply isn't advisable (won't work).
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Method 1

Edited by LucheLibre, 20 December 2011 - 11:26 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

FWIW: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html , although it says "XP", the key principles are the same.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users