Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prince Draxx

Prince Draxx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

I have a Gateway Laptop I need to restore to factory default setting. When trying to use system restore, the user got tired of waiting on the process and turned it off.

That resulted in a corrupted C: Drive. To add insult to the injury, they decided to format the drive. After obliterating any chance of recovery, they would now like me to make it work.

I tried to get it to work by adding NTLDR since it was saying it needed. This did not work. Can anyone tell me how to make the recovery start from the Recovery Partition? I can get it to come up on
another computer and it appears that all the files are there, although I can't be sure.

Gateway Widows Vista OS. I do not have a Vista Disk.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

alt + F10

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-53091-restore-to-factory-setting-with-a-gateway

#3 Prince Draxx

Prince Draxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

alt + F10 doesn't work. Takes me to Boot Menu with choice 1 Main Hard Drive or choice 4 Boot to Lan. Selecting Main Drive by pressing enter makes a single cursor blink in the top left corner and then it restarts.
Goes to the Splash screen and then loops again and again.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Sometimes it is as simple as making the recovery partition the active partition so it boots off of it.
I have had that work in the past where the C: was formatted and the custom MBR rewritten. I also felt real lucky that it worked as a last try.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Mark-a-partition-as-active

This process above could make things worse of course so you really need to think about it.

However if it were me I'd be suggesting gently that it is time to go to Windows 7.
Sometimes they don't leave you anything to work with.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

what model gateway do you have ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users