Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons & Start Menu Programs Suddenly Gone

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mountainbadger

mountainbadger

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

Today I experienced some sort of crash and subsequently have not had any desktop icons or program files in the start menu. I am running XP SP3. I had Outlook 2007, Internet Explorer 8, and CYMA (an accounting software) running. IE crashed, I reopened. A few minutes later, all three programs crashed, all desktop icons were gone, and about thirty pop-ups warning about registry errors came up (unfortunately I did not write down the errors). I attempted a restart, upon which the system indicated that a registry error occurred, but had been corrected. At this time, I noticed that no icons appeared on the desktop. When I selected the start menu to restart again, no programs or short cuts were present in the menu. Under all programs, the folders were present but all are labeled "empty" (including folders within Accessories, such as System Tools). I was also unable to right or left click on the desktop or to drag and drop anything onto the desktop. Oddly, the task bar was present along with some programs that run at startup (Trend Micro Security Agent, Pervasive, LogMeIn, Adobe Updater).

I attempted to restart in safe mode to the same results. I am able to access all files and programs through the explore function. I also checked the logs and there are no errors showing around the time of the original program crash. I have been able to restore some of the programs/short cuts to the start menu, specifically, IE, Outlook, My Computer, My Documents, Control Panel, Network Connections, and Run.

Thinking this may be the result of malware or rootkit, I ran IObit Advanced System Care, but it didn't turn up any malware and any registry repairs didn't fix the problem. Still thinking it may be malware, I ran a Malware Bytes scan, but had it BSOD and give me the following error: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89A132C0, 0x89A13434, 0x805FB1D6).

I am now stumped and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

you could try system restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users