Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor malfunction

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JamesLast

JamesLast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi, I have an internal Radeon X600 Series video adaptor which has a DVI and VGA connector. Both are connected by their respective cables to my LG Monitor and I can select which source the monitor gets it's input from via the monitor menu.

I have always run it off the DVI as the picture is optimal when set at the correct resolution. The VGA input I ignore because of the limited resolution and fuzzy picture.

Recently, I noticed that the monitor would attempt to light up when I turned the PC on only to either fail completely and go into "power saving" mode, or else present me with a wavy shadowy picture. Thusfar, I have been able to correct the situation by unplugging and plugging the monitor back in from the wall socket. It usually flickers back to life after the second or third attempt. I figured the monitor was on its way out and waited for it to die completely before getting a replacement. Today, the dreaded moment arrived and no amount plugging in and out at the socket remedied the fault.

After about 20 minutes of trying, I decided to change the minitor's input source from DVI to VGA (or RGB as it says on the menu). The monitor came to life instantly with no problems whatsoever. But of course, the picture and resolution were rubbish so I changed back to DVI...and hey presto, got a picture.

so I'm wondering, is it the monitor that's at fault or the DVI side of the graphics card or cable? The monitor is LG and about 4 years old but it would be a shame to throw it away if the problem can be resolved by changing the graphics card or cable.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation. Thanks in advance for your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

What's the model number of the monitor?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 JamesLast

JamesLast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

What's the model number of the monitor?

LG M203WA
It's the one with the built in TV tuner.

#4 JamesLast

JamesLast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

I should mention that about the same time as this problem started the monitor's speakers started emitting a slight buzzing sound that you could only get rid of by turning its volume right down to zero.

#5 JamesLast

JamesLast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

So no clues? Anyone?

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

This may be a silly question, but have you tried running the monitor with just the DVI plugged in?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 JamesLast

JamesLast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

This may be a silly question, but have you tried running the monitor with just the DVI plugged in?

No, it's not a silly question. I didn't have the VGA connected when the problem developed. Just the DVI. Infact, now I can only get the monitor to work by connecting the VGA and setting it as the source and then switching to DVI. It doesn't have any problems running on VGA which is why I'm starting to suspect the card DVI or cable to be the problem.

#8 JamesLast

JamesLast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

It's ok, I reinstalled the graphic card drivers and it seems to have set things straight again. Time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users