Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows wants a flash drive to set up a secured connection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mastavic

mastavic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hi, I hope you're well.

I'm helping someone with this and am a bit confused. I've only talked to her over the phone, so I don't have all the details I'd like. Also, she's computer illiterate.

Basically, her Windows (not sure which version) is telling her that to set up a secured connection, she needs to use a flash drive for some reason. She thinks she is able to get online right now, but only through an unsecured connection.

I don't think a flash drive is needed for this process, but as I am not even sure what this process is, I'm rather confused. Does someone have more information? What exactly is Windows asking of her right now? Her main thing is just to be able to connect to the Internet securely and easily.

Thanks,
Vic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

There is usually a manual for making a secure wifi connection for routers. Probably giving the right model would help. The flash drive needed might refer to backing up the created network profile(SSID,password). You can always create this by going to Manage Wireless Network and right-click the home network - Properties and a backup option is available.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users