Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC.exe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 timw128

timw128

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Hello- I was studying the tutorial entitled 'How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files' and have a simple question about running this. I am running Windows XP Pro w/ SP3. My Genuine OS Disk is SP2, and I have the SP3 disk that was supplied along with a Recovery Disk. It is a genuine Full Retail version. My question about running SFC.exe is will it work with the SP2 installation disk, even though I have SP3 installed?
I know that I'll have to run Windows Updates again.
I had some kind of Rootkit, Spyware, and/or Malware get a hold of my pc and mess things up. I have run all of the required programs-ie- HJT, ComboFix, etc- and am confident the problem is gone. I have a strong hunch where the bad stuff came from, too.
Please advise on restoring my System Files.
Thanks!
tim

PS- Merry Christmas!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hi :).

<<My Genuine OS Disk is SP2, and I have the SP3 disk that was supplied along with a Recovery Disk. It is a genuine Full Retail version.>>

I guess that I don't understand how...you can have a Recovery Disk, along with a MS Genuine XP CD...and whatever your "SP3 disk" is. Reocvery disks are issued by OEM system manufacturers, in lieu of providing a legal copy of Windows. Please clarify exactly what each disk might be.

<<My question about running SFC.exe is will it work with the SP2 installation disk, even though I have SP3 installed?>>

Such is not advised.

You can update your SP2 CD, using a program like nLite. That created CD then replaces your original install disk.

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

It won't work. SFC replaces damaged, changed or missing system files with original copies. You obviously do not want to replace sp3 system files with sp2 versions - nor will the system allow you to do so anyway. Do as hamluis suggest and create a slipstream sp3 disc with nlite.

#4 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the OS in front of me now. The hologram disk is Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2. Included is a M$ SP3 disk, and a XP Pro SP3 Back Up Media Disk that my vendor (legit) provided, no charge. Now I am thinking that I can use this disk to repair my System Files. Please advise.
Thanks!
tim

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

I have no idea what this "XP Pro SP3 Back Up Media Disk" might be, never heard of such and Google draws a blank for me.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

OK, I was going to take a macro shot of my OS and post it, but my camera batteries appear to need a charge. So, if you will, give me a few minutes to get it together. This Back Up Media is GENUINE Windows software. My vendor is a highly experienced M$ insider, and I can not find the contact info. I have only dealt with her a couple of times. I'll be back in a bit, Louis.
Thanks!
tim

#7 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Louis- Take a look at these. Worst case scenario, I can slipstream SP3 along with hologram disk to a blank and run the repair from there. All of this has transpired due to the volume of Errors and Warnings in Event Viewer. Something is wrong with the System Files, for sure. Hope these photos turned out.

http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i405/timw128/

#8 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

These may have turned out better.

http://imageshack.us/g/214/dscf1012y.jpg/

#9 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Louis- There is not an i386 folder directly in C:\. i386, along with amd64 are contained in a folder named '403971ec4f6071759b'. This concerns me because this source* tells me that it MUST be there as such: C:\i386, in order to make a bootable OS disk w/SP3 slipstreamed. I DO NOT want to reformat the whole deal.
Please advise, as I have never done any 'slipstreaming' of this nature.
Thanks!
tim

*Source: http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users