Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after '2012 security XP' Trojan/Malware removal.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Teachable

Teachable

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

I hope I am finally in the right forum. Please, please help.

Mod Edit: Topic in XP forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic433359.html/page__gopid__2516139 .

Following pinned instructions for 2012..Security..XP, I was able to remove a number of Trojans with Malwarebytes, restored the firewall, reran Avast, and thought all was OK. And it seemed to be for a couple days.... Then Avast informed me it couldn't protect for firewall/email. Removed a few more trojans with malwarebytes, but could not get the firewall back up. Another forum has directed me here, explaining that I probably have resident malware.

At this time, my computer is hung on the "windows is shutting down" window (I was trying to restart.) Before that, I had physically unplugged from the internet. A lot of services were running huge I/O and Other while I had nothing up but the CPU usage screen. InCDsvc and lsass were the most active. Oddly, I got a message the last couple reboots, that InCD could not be started.
The scary thing for me (other than that the screen hangs there) is that all these processes were running very actively, but none were identified with a user - usually, it specifies network, local, Irena - like a ghost in the machine. It got quiet when I stopped the InCD, and very quiet after I pulled the Internet plug.

The message was: Windows cannot start the Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. I didn't go online after that. Now it's just a hung "shutting down" screen.

I have XP/Pro SP2. Intel PentiumII, 399Mz, 256 MB RAM. Dinosaur, I know, but it did what I needed until now and I can't afford to replace it. Oh. Avast for antivirus.

In advance, thank you so very much.

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2011 - 05:00 PM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected, no logs posted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users