Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Both Cd Drive Have Suddenly Stopped Working!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bboyer32

bboyer32

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

Both of my CD ROM drives on my computer have stopped working. I have gone into the device manager, and both devices have the yellow question mark next to them. I uninstalled both devices and restarted the computer. It recognizes the hardware on startup and attempts to start them, but then I get a message that says there was an error with the hardware installation. The Device Status says: Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

I have performed a registry mechanic to see if that would help, but nothing.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

See if this will solve your problem. :thumbsup:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314060

#3 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

[size=4]I had a similar problem, contacted Gateway Tech support; turned out a web page I was viewing somehow changed the "high" and "low" filter(?) command found in the registry (system>hardware>device). The rep was able to put it back to the default settings and the drive worked fine. I don't know if this helps you, but maybe someone else with a lot more experience with the registry and its settings will be able to run with this.

Old Corps Gunny
Semper Fi

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:55 AM

Here it goes.

Check your hard ware cabling

Can you open the cd rom ?

Or it just don read your CDs? :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users