Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bifurcated Messages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grandpaw7

grandpaw7

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

This is a problem that has recurred several times. This is just one example of it.

I wanted to download the MS Money 2006 free trial. But first I wanted to see the answers to some questions the website posed. When I clicked on a question, a small window would pop up that was supposed to contain the answer. However, it only contained the top part of the answer. The bottom part was not visible and there was no scroll bar, and the arrow buttons didn't help, so I had no way to have the bottom part of the answer appear.

The other day, Comcast was installing cable for me. The installer was carrying out some needed functions on the computer. He came to a window where he had the same problem, that is, he could not see the bottom part of the message. He tried doing a number of things, most of which I couldn't follow, but never did find a way. Finally, he called Comcast on the phone and got the info he needed.

I can't recall the specifics on the other occasions but it seems like it's always some kind of message such as that above. I do recall trying to install an antivirus program some time ago and found again that when I got a small window with a message, I couldn't find a way to see the bottom part.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I might be able to get rid of it?

Thanks, grandpaw7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

I'm not sure about this but lets make sure you are spyware & malware free & maybe that will solve the problem.

See this article:
Taking out the trash

See this article:
The Parasite Fight

See this article:
Deleting Stubborn Files

Have you tried a complete cleaning to see if that helps?

Show all Files & Folders
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=62

Try these free tools.

Trendmicro (free virus scan only)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Ewido (free Trojan Scan)
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Adware SE (update after installing)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spybot S&D (update after installing)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

#3 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

Thanks, River Rat. The delay in answering is that I thought I would get email notification of replies, having clicked for them, but I didn't. I'm going to puruse looking at your references, although I do think my computer is pretty clean. I use MS AntiSpyware, SpySweeper, SpyGuard, and AVG free edition. I also scan once a week with Trend HouseCall, and I use ccleaner. But I still want to look at what you cite and see what happens. grandpaw

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:49 PM

Try clicking the popup to make it the active window and then use the up and down arrow keys.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

Leurgy, these windows that won't scroll don't provide a way to make them the active window. But thanks for the suggestion. grandpaw

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

To make a window active just click on the title bar (the coloured part at the top) or on the corresponding box in the task bar at the bottom.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users