Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Method To Fight Malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

Not sure if this is the best place but:

One thing that we as common users can do to help interrupt the spread of many types of malware is to simply turn off our computers when we are not useing them.

It may not seem like much but users like me who have broadband and allways leave our computers on, are prime realestate for bot-ets etc. Capable of storeing and distributing large amounts of malware during the hours we are off the computer. Also we contribute to the spread of illegally copied softwares.

By denineing them the use of this storage and distribution network we may well be able to seriously curtail their activities without haveing to spend a dime or install softwares to combat their efforts.

Now I am not advocateing getting rid of your existing security programs I just feel by decreaseing their avaiable targets we may well hurt them even more than we think.

I have been a long time advocate of leaveing systems on but my viewa over the years have changed considerably.

Any thoughts on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

Yes.
Use a firewall.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users