Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start ICS serviice after Trojan removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teachable

Teachable

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Following instructions in another part of this site, I was able to remove a number of Trojans with Malwarebytes. I am afraid to start IE without a Firewall and am unable to turn it on through any of the usual locations. The message is: Windows cannot start the Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. The detailed instructions on the Ms site are too technical for me to try alone. And I'm not sure the computer will let me download anything from their site anyway.
I have XP/Pro SP2. Intel PentiumII, 399Mz, 256 MB RAM. Dinosaur, I know, but it did what I needed until now and I can't afford to replace it. Oh. Avast for antivirus.
Very grateful for your help.

Edited by Teachable, 19 December 2011 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Well...I'm always dubious when members report that they have resolved their own malware problems...and I looked at your current topic in Am I Infected and it doesn't appear that any BC Staff person has given you the "all clear."

I suggest that you go back to that topic until one of the BC Staff has reviewed your topic.

Members who are not BC Staff...vary in knowledge and ability. Accepting suggestions from members is fine in this forum, but I would not suggest such when dealing with malware.

Louis

#3 Teachable

Teachable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

Louis,
Thank you. I completely get your point that there are consequences as a result of the Trojans, but was not aware that I was allowed to stay In the Malware Forum for follow up.

I followed the pinned instructions in Malware:

Remove XP Internet Security 2012 (Uninstall Guide)

Posted by Grinler on December 5, 2011 @ 09:43 PM Views: 21,488

How should I proceed, since the scans are coming out clean?

Would appreciate guidance.

#4 Teachable

Teachable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Ok. I cut pasted all this into the original thread 'am I infected' thread. Couldn't figure out another way to move it.
Thanks.

#5 DingyBrawd

DingyBrawd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Start -> Run -> type, "cmd" press enter, -> type, "netsh winsock reset" press enter -> reboot.

Edited by DingyBrawd, 19 December 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

<<I followed the pinned instructions in Malware...>>

I believe those same instructions also contain a section near the bottom that starts "If you are still having problems..."

That section is there because...the prescribed directions may not necessarily be effective against installed malware or there is more than the identified malware item...or the malware is misidentified by the user.

It's your system, do whatever. I merely suggest what I think might be best and...inability to use System Restore and access the MS website...are two symptoms commonly associated with resident malware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#7 Teachable

Teachable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Louis, thank you very much. I wasn't having problems after going through the instructions, not for a couple days at least, so thought BC's information had done a great job.
After the firewall went down last night, I ran the cleaners and came here for help because I thought you would tell me how to reset the firewall.
My apologies for getting the wrong forum. I now have a massive problem and will open a new topic in Malware.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

I just moved the new topic which you had posted in Malware Removal Logs...to the Am I Infected forum. I moved it because you did not follow the instructions in the Prep Guide for submitting logs...a basic requirement for every post/topic in that forum.

The BC Staff folks in Am I Infected will get you on the right track.

To avoid confusion, this topic is closed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2011 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users