Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVI craps when moved to new folder

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DingyBrawd

DingyBrawd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:03 AM

So - I download a nice .avi movie to my 'downloads' folder. As is, it plays and is utterly normal. But when I cut and paste the file to another folder [same user] on my desktop, it's rendered unusable. If I move the avi back to it's original location, it remains unusable. When I attempt to convert it using a half dozen different programs, the program says it cannot find the file, or gives me a generic error message, or it does nothing at all. The same happens if I attempt to burn it with dvd authoring software. In other words, it stops existing in all ways except its physical presence on my computer. What the heck, guys? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Every once in a while a random avi will work regardless of where it's moved to.
Yes, I have a gazillion codecs and players [VLC, WinMedia, etc.]. Probably all of 'em.
No, I did not rename the file extension, e.g. from *.avi to *.divx, *.mpg, etc.
As far as I know, this is only happening with avi files, and no others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would fill me with Christmas glee.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users