Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help!--Right-click crashing Windows 7 explorer, 'Power' service, audio service problems!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shintou

Shintou

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

Hello, I have been having problems with Windows 7 explorer constantly crashing and restarting whenever I right-click on or open any files and folders, search in the Start Menu search box, opening My Computer, Control Panel, etc. In essence, it is limiting most of the interface. I was able to pinpoint the problem using Safe Mode and msconfig to the 'Power' service (C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe –k DcomLaunch). And once I disabled the 'Power' service, everything seems to be fixed.

However, disabling the 'Power' service will disable audio service for the system. To fix the audio service, I tried changing the Power management, reverting back to previous restore points, updating the audio device drivers, trying to enable the Windows services in services.msc for 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)', 'Plug and Play', 'Multimedia Class Scheduler', 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder' and 'Windows Audio' to activate sound again, but 'Window Audio' depends on 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder', but 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder' seems to depends on the 'Power' service. And I can’t activate the ‘Power’ service again without crashing Windows explorer. How do I go about fixing this issue? Can I replace the ‘Power’ service files? Or update them? And help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

What led your problem to this crashing windows explorer window? Try using this software ShellExView
For tutorials and guide http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/shellexview.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users