Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV9700 laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dayzmae

dayzmae

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Ok I have this laptop here.. model dv9910us, all stock.. and here is what it is doing. When I power on, the black HP Invent screen comes up with the F options on the bottom. From here I get 2 different things that will happen. First, if the hard drive is in the primary slot, I get the option to go into BIOS settings. This is probably the skinniest BIOS version I have ever seen. I am able to change the time and date. Then I am only able to change the boot order, as well as disable a few things there. I can also go into diagnostics, but all it says there is No IDE Device. The other F options do not respond, it will either freeze up or just not do anything.

Now if the hard drive is in the second slot.. I can do all of the above, but I can also bring up the boot menu, which is empty unless I have a flash drive in. I don't see the DVD drive listed, even though I have a retail windows7 disk in. It don't even attempt to read it. I can also run the diagnostics on the hard drive, which when it is finished, tells me to Replace the Hard Drive.

I can bring up the system info screen and it lists things there, including the hard drive, still no DVD drive listed, but it also says.. No TPM or TPM has Problem.

Is this an issue that can be fixed by a BIOS flash from a UBS flash drive? If not, could this be an issue of both the hard drive AND the DVD drive gone bad at the same time?

If the BIOS can be flashed from a USB key, can I get links or specific details on how to do it please? All that is on here to download is the winflash version.. This obviously is worthless at the point. I did read the instruction on the Phoenix Crisis Flash or whatever it is called, but when I tried to use it, it said it was not for my version of windows I am running or something so that was an equal dead end.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

What slots are you referring on the drive? Are you using the default settings under BIOS?

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

A couple of tests that may help narrow things down.

Being very careful with regards to static electricity to avoid damaging anything.

Try removing the DVD drive and see what happens with the HD.
Can you run the diagnostics on the drive with no DVD?
Try removing the hard drive and see if the DVD drive shows.
Can you boot from the DVD drive now?

It is my guess that one of the drives has gone bad and it could be killing off the other drive.

I wouldn't flash the BIOS right now. IT didn't magically go bad and cause these issues.

The recovery options will not work with a bad drive or if there is no recovery partition on the drive.

TPM = Trusted Platform Module, usually not seen except in business models. Such as a Lenovo Thinkpad.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

Edited by rotor123, 20 December 2011 - 12:57 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

What slots are you referring on the drive? Are you using the default settings under BIOS?

Some of the HP laptops have two drive bays for hard drives.
I'm guessing that is what is being referenced by the OP.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 dayzmae

dayzmae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

There are 2 hard drive bays, one is primary one is secondary. According to what I have been able to dig up, one drive will work in either slot as far as going into windows. But with the hard drive in the secondary slot is the only time I can get any kind of indication that it is there at all. And I have the defualt settings loaded into BIOS. Have did that a few times when attempted to change the boot order.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

Did you try the testing I suggested above?

Do you have another laptop you could try the drive in to see if it is detected there. Do not boot there.
Actually I believe that is a SATA hard drive and that means it could be hooked up in a desktop computer too.
It would be helpful to know if it is detected in another computer.

167 @ June 2015

#7 dayzmae

dayzmae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, crazy holiday times :)
OK here is what i have with testing what you said to do Rotor...

-Removing the HD, does the DVD show in BIOS...No appearance at all of a DVD drive.

-Removing the DVD with HD in (primary slot) stuck on the HP Invent screen. (still no IDE Device for in Diagnostics screen)

-Removing the DVD with HD in (secondary slot) after 8 or 10 seconds on HP invent screen, comes up Operating System not found (black screen)

-I can now run the diagnostics on the secondary hard disk (option for this only comes up if the drive is in the secondary slot) also, results after 117mins of running diagnostics says Replace the Hard Disk

-Still will not boot from the DVD drive.

- I did put this drive into my own Dell XPS L702x in the secondary drive. While I didnt get the option to select it to boot into at startup, it is in My Computer as a D drive and is fully accessable. hmm.. i wouldnt think this is behavior of a dead hard drive...

Also, I tried making it the primary drive in the Dell and it comes up to run startup repair thru windows recovery. After a couple of times it fails, with no real reason that I can see. Maybe its boot record is broke? (And I would rather not put my dell hard drive in the dead HP...)

Edited by dayzmae, 23 December 2011 - 02:38 AM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Generally speaking if the drive fails the HP diagnostics it is going bad. That doesn't mean you can never get to the data on it.

I would not expect it to run in the Dell. Windows does not like to be moved to different hardware. There are ways around that but the easy methods require the donor computer to be working.

Since you can easily determine the brand of the hard drive by looking at it go to this link and run the manufacturers diagnostics. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html
This will tell us for sure if the drive is going bad or if it is the HP. I'm suggesting this as a test in case the computer is bad and that is why only the second bay works and not the DVD either.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users