Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Delete Stuff on Backup Disks?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ninja Chachi

Ninja Chachi

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hey guys I recently tried making a backup but realized that I barely had any files and I could just back them up on a flash drive or something but I already used 3 DVDs to put the backup on. What can I do to erase all the data off of them.
When I try to format the disks it says "The disk is write protected."
Please Help :)

Also my Recovery Drive is red like this Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Ninja Chachi, 18 December 2011 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

Are the DVDs RW (Re-Writable) discs? If they are DVD-R or DVD+R write-once discs, you cannot delete anything from them. I think your Recovery partition is indicating low free space, which is normal for a recovery partition which is created just large enough for the job. For this reason, recovery partitions are usually hidden (or at least not allocated a drive letter) so they don't appear in Computer. Has the recovery always been shown in your system?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ninja Chachi

Ninja Chachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Yes Ive always seen the Recovery disk D but it hasn't been red before also it's a DVDRW and I have formatted the same type of disk just without real backup files

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

A common cause of that symptom is, I understand, having drive emulation software like Alcohol 120% installed. It's a common recommendation if you have emulation software, uninstall it to stop getting spurious Write Protect status on RW discs. Beyond that, I don't have any immediate suggestions if the discs are definitely RWs that you've used successfully with that drive before.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

Yes Ive always seen the Recovery disk D but it hasn't been red before

If something has been stored on the D: drive, that would fill it up more and could trigger the free-space alert. If you display the contents and can identify something that doesn't belong there, moving it off D: may well return things to how they were. That's one reason Recovery partitions are often not made visible, so they won't be accidentally used for storage.

Edited by Platypus, 19 December 2011 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users