Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Malware Recovery Graphics Hardware Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spinor

Spinor

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

Problem: I recently had a malware attack on my computer that has been resolved see: here. After some help from Gringo we managed to resolve the malware issues and the machine has been running pretty normally the last few days. The one issue that has occurred is that the laptop I use runs an integrated intel graphics card with a GT555M card using Nvidia optimus.

After fixing the malware issues, I noticed that graphically intensive programs such as games and some scientific software are somewhat struggling with the visual demands or crash on loading in the case of Battlefield 3. Secondly, I tried downloading a tool 'NvOptimusTestViewer64.exe' to see if the GT555M was being activated by the software once launched or if I could force the software to use the GT555M. All of these fail to show any response in the GPU and interestingly if I click the 'show optimus overlay' box in the tool I get the following error: 'no support in nvcpl to update driver registry. use latest driver'. Googling the error seems to suggest it's possibly some lingering damage from the malware.

I should also note, I have downloaded some of the 'cool stuff' programs from Nvidia's website to see if they would run. However, all the programs state I do not have 'cuda enabled gpu', so it's as though these programs only see the integrated graphics card.

Attempted Solutions: I have uninstalled and re installed both graphics cards from scratch using the dell manufacturers drivers from dell support. I have then tried upgrading the nvidia drivers to the latest release. Both these solutions have failed to resolve the issue. I've tried forcing applications to use the GT555m this has failed.

Device manager shows no items with an exclamation mark next to them or any other hardware issues and successfully detects both display adapters.

I'm at a loss as to what could possibly be wrong at this point so any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yikes, sounds like your card is either improperly installed or fried.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 Spinor

Spinor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

The card itself is fine as are the drivers for it, I can load the Nvidia control panel and it displays the Nvidia logo correctly and the graphics card does indeed turn on. The problem is optimus and how it's handling allowing applications to use the GPU. I have tried forcing applications to use the GPU from the nvidia control panel and again this doesn't work.

This correlates well with the problems in that it shows up in device manager as working but as soon as an application for example nvidia's cool stuff tries to activate the GPU Optimus fails to integrate the GPU into the loop or even tell the system it's even there.

This is all I've managed to piece together from talking to Nvidia and a little research, the problem is that to get further I need to talk to my manufacturer and in all likelihood perform a factory reset. This isn't really very helpful when my boot disc is in another country!

I'm still open to suggestions though and I could very well be wrong so if anyone knows anything about optimus or if you can even tweak optimus settings please let me know.

Edited by Spinor, 20 December 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#4 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'm kinda confused here, what model Dell laptop is this? So are you saying there is an integrated graphics chip, and a separate video card? If so i would try and deactivate the integrated chip, and only have the video card activated.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#5 Spinor

Spinor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

The Laptop is an XPS 17 and yes it does have both an integrated graphics card and a GT555M inside that run concurrently. To my understanding you can't simply just deactivate the integrated chip though this will simply cause the screen to go black.

The reason for this, if I remember correctly, is that the way Optimus works is rather clever it's not as simple as turn off integrated card and turn on dedicated GPU. In some manner, the GT555M when running optimus properly is augmenting not replacing the integrated card, apparently this can be done with only a small drop in efficiency. It's kinda cool technology if my understanding is correct and deeply annoying when it doesn't work quite right!

I'm kinda giving up hope on fixing this though without the factory reset but we'll see.

#6 moshpitdweller90

moshpitdweller90

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I had the exact same issue with malware removal (in fact, I was helped by the same guy on the forums) on my Alienware M11xR2. I tried for hours to fix it, even called up Dell, and nothing helped. A factory reset was all that I could do to fix it, unfortunately. I don't know of any other resolution to this problem.

#7 Spinor

Spinor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Well at least the issue isn't isolated but I know what you mean about Dell they haven't been a great help to me either! When you're out of the country and don't want to spend a lot of cash buying some ridiculous warranty scheme the support is almost nil.

I've just given up and used the dell datasafe to perform a factory reset. Not what I wanted to do or use given that I did just have a malware infection and I'd rather reinstall from my clean backup disk. It's kinda annoying I don't know if this has actually worked yet since the litmus test is almost whether battlefield 3 runs or not and there is so much get back before thinking about games.

EDIT: Problem Resolved

Factory reset did the job thankfully. Still curious as to what actually went wrong in the first place but I guess it's somewhat untraceable at this point.

Edited by Spinor, 23 December 2011 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users