Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The "new" Search And How To Use It?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Raban

Raban

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

anyone with vista figured out how to use the new search functionality?? i'm pretty computer savvy but i tell ya its got me mistified... i get how to use the "quicksearch" if you want to find a file in your current directory or whatnot

but i want to execute a search across 5 harddrives and thousands of sub-directories for various things.. this was simple under winxp as you could just fire it off and wait a couple mins for the results... i have NO IDEA how to do a similar search under vista, it doesn't seem possible

am i just missing something?? has anyone had success using the search system for doing anything beyond a simple "single-directory" search... the quicksearch seems very skilled at finding files in my "library" .. how do i tell vista i want my "library" to be my entire system, every harddrive and every sub-directory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Binny

Binny

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

As far as I know it works alot like the Google Desktop searchbar, where it indexes all your files in the background while your doing other things and then when you search for something POOF it has it on file...although Google Desktop also searches for words within Txt documents and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users