Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to pinpoint hardware failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Del64

Del64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Hello,

The family computer has broken once again while I attend college. Below are two screen shots I have taken of what the issues are.

I installed the Nvida driver and it did not fix my resolution and the Nvida control panel states there is no such Nvida GPU attached. I cannot find the correct driver for the 1394 OHCI compliant host controller in the second screen shot. I recently attempted to boot into linux using a live CD and the screen was very messy and unreadable once the desktop was loaded however the pre-loading screen that states "ubuntu 10.10 " with the 4 dashes loaded fine. This leads me to believe it is hardware failure. I will post a screen shot in the future.

I ran out the possibility of viruses; I ran malewarebytes. Ccleaner, and combo fix. I also Ran an SFC to check for system corruption with no sign of OS failure.

I am beginning to think this is a sign of hardware failure but I am uncertain of what hardware. Judging from the IEEE host driver and the video-card driver being unable to work, I have a strong feeling it might be the motherboard. Does anyone know of any diagnostics I could preform?

I forgot there were VGA output integrated into my motherboard as well. Both my video card and the integrated card are the same messy output as shown in the first attachment.

I have ruled out the possibility of hard drive failure with a Vivard scan, the monitor works perfectly fine with my laptop, and the memory since there are no signs of error with a memtest.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone else could help me with this issue.

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

Sorry to read quick but did you try to go to the display settings and see if the color quality is at 32 bits or 64 bits and if the resolution is changed?

#3 Del64

Del64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

It does not give me the option to change it, it is grayed out and unclickable. I have attempted that first including basic troubleshooting: driver updates and system restores.

I forgot to include this was a windows vista 32 bit desktop but I updated it last year to Win 7 64 bit.

Update:

It fixed itself after I used the windows repair cd, updated Java and flash, and re-plugged in the monitor into the input that is integrated into the motherboard (which was weird because I have done this before but whatever!). It seems to be working fine now with the correct resolutions except the graphics are not as good, of course.

I would eventually like a new graphics card, but I am uncertain what to buy. My previous card was GeForce 8300 GS.

Edited by Del64, 18 December 2011 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users