Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winsock Provider Catalog and Firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alligator

alligator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

I cannot access the Internet through any of the browsers on my Dell Dimension 8200, which is running XP Home Edition, 2002, SP 3. This computer has an Ethernet connection to my router. My other computers, which have wireless connections to the same router, are all working fine.
A few days ago, we had the internet xp security screens begin to pop up on the problem computer. I ran mbam. It found and removed Hijack.exefile and Trojan.Email. It worked, but a day later each of the browsers began to be hijacked when I used them. I downloaded and ran a full scan with SAS. It removed over 2000 items. Afterward, none of the browsers worked. When I diagnose the connection, I get a message that says the Winsock provider catalog is a problem and offers to fix it, but the fix doesn’t work. I also have the XP firewall that is turned off and won’t turn on. It says the Windows Firewall/Internet Sharing Service (ICS) is not working.
I have rerun mbam, no problems found. Through the CMD command, I have tried netsh winsock reset. I downloaded Winsockxpfix 1.0 and ran it. I reset the computer to an earlier saved point. None of these has worked. Unfortunately, I am already well over my personal tech limits.
Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Just remember, most chimpanzees have higher tech skills than I do. Tell me simple things to try, and I will give them my simple-minded best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hello and welcome..
For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

WIN7.. Please Download this file, Click Me
Right-click on winsockfix.bat and click on Run as Administrator.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 alligator

alligator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for your help.

Well, I tried all of your suggestions, but I still can't connect to the Internet.

Specifically, 1.The proxy box was not checked. 2.The Winsock Reset said it was successful, but on restart, the only change was that the user logon screen showed I had three unread emails, which it had not been doing. 3. The netsh interface ipv4 reset said command not found. 4. The netsh interface ipv6 reset said ipv6 not installed. 5. The ipconfig /flushdns said it was successful, but it did not connect on reboot. Finally, I downloaded the winsockfix file on my laptop and ran it on the 8200. It said it was successful twice but didn't change anything on restart. One thing has changed. The "diagnose connection problems" screen on explorer no longer says winsock provider catalog problem. It refers me to contact XP product support, and when I look at its available logs, it tells me there is an "error attepting to validate the winsock base providers:2"
Is there anything else I can try, or has it gone belly up?

Thank you again.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

PLEASE create a restore point before trying this

Go to RUN and type

regedit and click ok

Navigate to these keys,right click,export and save them.Now delete both these keys.

HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/winsock
HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/winsock2

Go to RUN and type

inf and click ok

Search for Nettcpip.inf file .Backup the file as a safety measure.

Open the file in Notepad.
Locate the [MS_TCPIP.PrimaryInstall] section.
Edit the Characteristics = 0xa0 entry and replace 0xa0 with 0×80.
Save the file, and then exit Notepad.
In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Note This step will return you to the Local Area Connection Properties screen, but now the Uninstall button is available.
Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Uninstall, and then click Yes.
Restart the PC

Ignore any errors while uninstalling

Reinstall TCP/IP

Now go to inf folder,open nettcpip,inf, replace the 0×80 back to 0xa0

Return to "local area connection"> properties > general tab > install > Protocol > TCP/IP

Ignore any errors,restart your PC when asked for

See if that solves the issue

Good luck

#5 alligator

alligator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Wow, that was deeper in a computer than I've ever been before. Unfortunately, I still can't connect. What is different is that the computer keeps trying and trying to connect instead of going straight to an exclamation mark over the icon in the tray.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I can tell you what the connection diagnostic says which has also changed:

Winsock diagnostic:

All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog

The Winsock Service chains are valid

Error: Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip(tcp/ip) could not perform simple loopback communication, Error 10050

Error: Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip(udp/ip) could not perform simple loopback communication, Error 10050

Error: Provider entry RSVP UDP Service could not perform simple loopback communication, Error 10091

Error: Provider entry RSVP TCP Service could not perform simple loopback communication, Error 10091

Error: A connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.

I hope there is still somewhere to go from here. Thanks.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Download

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.zip

Launch it,Does it find any issues?

Run winsock fix once again

Good luck

Edited by narenxp, 18 December 2011 - 10:51 PM.

#7 alligator

alligator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

The download found no problems, and re-running winsock fix produced no change. Am I running out of options?

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Probably we are out of options

Open command prompt and run

sfc /scannow

Wait for it to finish,restart your PC,Click on Diagnose

See if it finds any issues

Good luck

#9 alligator

alligator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

I ran scannow. It asked me to insert the XP disk, and I did. The program completed, and the box with the bar showing completion dropped off the page. I restarted the computer, but nothing came up for me to click on "diagnose." Did I do something wrong?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

Something else I found.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/repair-xp-and-vista-internet-connection-problems-with-icr/

Good to see you Naren!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users