Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs and crashes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Upon the advise of a member of the malware removal team, I'm posting this here. However, since it spans internal hardware, external hardware and a browser, if the experts feel it would be a good idea to multiple post in the respective areas or cut it up into the respective parts, I'll be happy to do that.

HP Pavilion dv2 Series Entertainment Notebook PC
2 GB RAM
HDD: int.: C: 286 GB & 11.7 GB, ext. USB K: 931 GB.
E: is my wifi modem.
AMD Athlon Neo x2 Dual Core Processor L335 1.6 GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium Build 7601, SP1 (32 bit)
avast! AV free

I have four, possibly related, problems.

Problem #1
Firefox temporarily freezes and/or crashes pretty much daily: "Firefox has encountered an error and needs to close.", although I've removed or disabled every add-on that I added since the problems started, [aside from the avast add-on that came with the installation of avast (per the recommendation of BC's Blind Faith in my virus troubles thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425721.html/page__st__45__gopid__2511814#entry2511814)].
In fact, I've had to disable my download manager add-on (which was previously fine) because since the virus problem the script on the download screen (whether it's a tab or separate window) tends to stop working (hangs) and then I would get the option to stop the script or wait - if I didn't stop it, FF would remain frozen. This didn't used to be a problem.
I have WOT, Skipscreen, avast webrep, and Flashgot, all of which I've been using for some time with no trouble - the problems seem to coincide with upgrading from Firefox 5 to 8. When I updated, many other add-ons were disabled or removed because of incompatibility with FF 8. Of the remainder that I haven't listed, I disabled them. I am uncertain as to which remaining add-ons are causing the problem, or if FF8 is just a poor build - or my Windows 7 is corrupted (which I think it is because of the viruses I just got rid of).

Problem #2
My computer keeps hanging, too, although not every single day. I haven't been able to nail down what's causing it. Most often it just freezes, but I've had BSOD a few times; most recently 2 days ago. That occurred after I plugged in my wifi thumbdrive router again. I cannot explain what caused it - usually several programs were open (Orbit, Grab++, Word 2007, FF8, maybe also WMP and file explorer).

Problem #3
I was going to install SuperAntiSpyware but when I went to open my software library, which I keep on my external USB HDD, the folder view indicated there were no folders within the programs folder (which is in the root dir), and when I attempted to click on that folder, it said that K: was unformatted and asked if I wanted to format. Of course, I said no. It was just that one folder I was having trouble with, not the whole drive. So, I ran chkdsk to try and resolve the problem. By the next day, chkdsk still wasn't done and, indeed, appeared to have stopped, so I cancelled that forcibly (CTRL-C didn't work). After rebooting, my programs folder was accessible again. This was about 5 days ago.
2 days ago, I was having trouble with delayed access to K:, which cleared up after restarting the computer, but then I noticed that my programs folder was, once again, inaccessible. I ran chkdsk k: /f /v /r. In fact, it's STILL running, although the HDD light only sporadically flutters and it appears to have stalled.
It found 2 errors during stage 2 (index check) and 33 unindexed (orphaned) files after that - at the end of that stage, it said that 0 had been recovered.
In stage 3 (security descriptors) it cleaned up 3 items, but didn't seem to find anything during the usdn journal verification.
It's currently on stage 4 (file data), and has found 29 bad clusters thus far (it's got a LONG way to go) in other folders (documents, music, pictures) and hasn't even touched the programs folder yet. It's been stuck 77817 of 144944 files processed in stage 4 for at least 24 hours now.
I should probably clarify that K: is a new Toshiba portable HDD (as opposed to a desktop model) I bought in June '11. It contains all of my files which aren't currently backed up (but I will try to back them up when and if chkdsk finishes) back onto the computer itself.

Problem #4
Whew. Okay, the other problem revolves around the router. It has connection options of 1x, evdo and hybrid, but I always leave it set to hybrid on the recommendation of Smartfren's employee from whom I got the router. The last few weeks, I've noticed that it's either stalling or changing itself to 1x - just the connection, not the setting. Most often I see these problems after extended use with long idle periods. No error messages come up.
Usually, if I reset the setting manually, it switches back, but recently, it refuses to switch back.
If that fails, I disconnect, turn off the router's program and eject the router, then plug it in again. When I did that two days ago, I got a BSOD after plugging it in again.
If that fails, as it did today, I restart the computer. In fact, since it was being particularly difficult, I uninstalled the app & router and reinstalled, but it refused to revert to hybrid until I restarted.
There was at least one other time the BSOD happened after reconnecting the router, so I've added the report here. My router is a flashdisk wifi from the Indonesian ISP/mobile network Smartfren.
Here's my BSOD log (BlueScreenView):
==================================================
Dump File : 112811-32105-01.dmp
Crash Time : 28/11/2011 21:43:28
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : 0xffffffe8
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x8376f9cb
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+8e3db
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17713 (win7sp1_gdr.111025-1505)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+8e3db
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+413e8
Stack Address 2 : Wdf01000.sys+249cb
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+3758e
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\112811-32105-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 142.960
==================================================

Thanks!
Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

Problem #1
Have you try uninstall and install it again? if not, please read this article
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Uninstalling%20Firefox
Uninstall Firefox and removing user data and settings for clean uninstall.

Problem #4
Please set it to EVDO not at Hybrid, only change it if you need to make a phonecall.
If you set it to Hybrid it will automatically to dial on 1x if EVDO signal is low and if in your area there is lot's of Smartfren user.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

Problem #1
Have you try uninstall and install it again? if not, please read this article
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Uninstalling%20Firefox
Uninstall Firefox and removing user data and settings for clean uninstall.

I did reinstall it, but I kept my data and settings. It was fine for a few days, and then the problems came back. I guess I'll have to do a clean one, but I'll make a backup of my favorites, ok?

Problem #4
Please set it to EVDO not at Hybrid, only change it if you need to make a phonecall.
If you set it to Hybrid it will automatically to dial on 1x if EVDO signal is low and if in your area there is lot's of Smartfren user.

May I ask why not to use Hybrid? That was the Smartfren recommendation. I initially did try EVDO, but the signal in my area is never better than 3 bars, so EVDO was unreliable. Do you think the use of Hybrid is causing my modem to malfunction and changing to EVDO will stop it from happening?

Thanks,
Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

Do you mean Smartfren Indonesian? If yes, Hybrid on their modem is like an auto option to dial a better signal and they put 1x signal better than EVDO signal. In my home, EVDO only get 2 bars but the connection was very stable.
Could you tell what modem that you use?

About FF, you could back up first and do clean unistall.

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

Yes, Indonesian Smartfren. Betul! Thanks for the explanation, but will it resolve the instability of the modem? My modem is from Smartfren, USB Modem EVDO Rev. A with Connex AC682 UI.

I like your tag line. :)

Terima kasih!
Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

That depend to your modem heat, big problem in that modem is the heat, if it reach too hot it will make your connection disconnect for a couple of second to cool down and automatically connect it again. Playing with connect and disconnect manually will be good as sometimes that modem have bad image reading on virtual drive (E:).

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

I have had the problem with the modem overheating, so I have a fan blowing on my computer to deal with that. However, even when the computer and router are cool, the problems I've described still happen. Should I take it back to Smartfren and complain?

If this router has a problem on E:, how can I assign it a different letter?

Thanks,
Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

It not about E: but about virtual drive that inside that USB Modem (not a router) and please dont waste your money just to talk to Smartfren as that problem will still happens in future if your Modem reach some level of heat or if Smartfen signal is bad, btw does you are Indonesian people?

About your FF, could you run Task Manager and watch how much memory usage that used by FF when it freezes?

#9 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Saya WNA, Pak Abauw! :whistle:

Okay, I thought I should update.

Problem #1: I removed FF as abauw suggested, and finally upgraded to FF v9 (had a lot of trouble), but it can't seem to get connected to the Internet, whereas Chrome has no trouble. I've got SAS, avast AV Free and MBAM running, but I'm not sure where to look to see if one of them is blocking FF. So, I have no idea if there'll be more FF problems after this one gets sorted out.

Problem #2: Seems to have disappeared since I got rid of FF v8.

Problem #3: It appears that my son may be responsible. My daughter told me she saw him pick it up, shake it and hit it. :censored: Anyone know of a good data recovery tool? I lost a lot of stuff because of the damage, and I'd especially like to get back my photos, as well as some unique files. :cry: I'm not sure if the warranty will cover "shaken by 2.5 year old". :unsure:

Problem #4: As per abauw's instructions, I've switched from Hybrid. However, the EVDO signal is so low that I have to use 1x (3-4 bars). I also moved my computer and that helped a bit with the signal (but I'd need to have a second floor to get a good signal here) as well as damage by my son. I try to keep my computer cool. So far, it's behaving itself pretty well.

So, my big deals are #1 and a data recovery tool (perhaps an NTFS file allocation table rebuilder would help?)...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

This program may give you back some of what you lost.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Also, you indicate that you have two antivirus programs running simultaneously. This can cause many random problems as their real-time protection services interfere with one another. Uninstall one of them.

Try disabling the firewall and retest Firefox.

Download MiniToolbox, run, and check the Report FF Proxy settings, Reset FF Proxy settings, and List Winsock Entries. Click Go.

After running, it will open notepad with a log. Post the contents to your next reply along with any notice of changes to Firefox's behavior.

Edited by LucheLibre, 08 January 2012 - 12:11 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#11 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the tip on PhotoRec. I downloaded it and will give it a try. Will advise.Oddly, this morning FF has now decided it doesn't have a problem connecting (I didn't do anything other than disconnect while I slept). Thanks anyways! :)Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users