Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a way to recovey data from bios

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itachigo

itachigo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

No Pc will let my Portable hard drive stay connect. Is there like a Cd I can use to recovery or fix it from bios?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

Could you more describe your problem?
What do you mean with stay connect? It only connect when you plugged the cable to Computer.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 itachigo

itachigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

I've been trying to solve this hard drive problem for 4 days now and still have not completely found a solution. I,ll try to explain the best way I can.

First of all, I have a 500Gb Western Digital My Passport Essential portable hard drive. I want to recovery the files from it but cannot access it. For some reason the hard drive will not stay connected to any PC that I have tried. It may be corrupt because half way through transferring a 100MB file, i mistakenly unplug the USB cord from my PC. This what it does. First, I connect the hard drive to the computer. Second, the hard drive takes about 2 to 3 minutes to display in MY Computer. After, I get 2 messages that says "you need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it" and "you need to format the disk in drive H: before you can use it". By the way I have two partition NTFS and FAT (Fat used to be a WBFS i,ll explain later). Both of the partition are temporally visible in my computer listed as local drive G: and H. Finally, it disconnect and reconnect from my PC for 2sec and then repeat itself All over again and again. My PC sometime slows down and freezes when I connected the hard drive and try to select it from MY Computer making it impossible to recovery and format.

so basically I
  • connect the hard drive to the computer
  • the hard drive takes about 2 to 3 minutes to display in My Computer
  • I get 2 messages that says "you need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it" and "you need to format the disk in drive H: before you can use it"
  • Finally, it disconnect and reconnect from my PC for 2sec and then repeat itself All over again and again.
I hope that's understandable.

Here is a list of software I tried

Many Recovery software
  • Recuva
  • Zero Assumption Recovery
  • R-Studio
  • Easeus partition master
  • testdisk-6.13
They were all able to find my drive but none them were able to mount it. so formatting in recovering is impossible. They all showed that my hard drive is empty but that can't be right.
I also try chkdisk it's says "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

I even install Ubuntu to dual boot with windows 7. I am new to Ubuntu but I was able to find my hard drive location. once I were there, Ubuntu had my drive listed as it Original name (MY Passport) and the two partitions. The NTFS partition have about 435Gb and the FAT 20gb. Ubuntu also showed that my hard drive is empty. I formatted the second partition to FAT (recently a WBFS Nintendo WII format). I'm not sure if I can or want to format the Original (first) partition (NTFS) in case there a way to recovery the data from it on a PC. until then I am leave it alone.

So the drive still work fine I just can't get the files/data from it at least not from a PC. A Nintendo Wii on the other hand is capable of booting my hard drive with no problem. Wiixplorer is App that lets me explore the files on my Hard drive and copy/paste them to any device plug into the Wii. The files are still on my hard drive undamaged. The Wii has two USB port but only one is capably with the app and one SD slot. So I used my SD card via Portable hard drive as a way to transfer my files to the PC. The problem with this is my SD card is only 2gb and I have files bigger than 2gb on my hard drive. so until I get a SD card with more memory there is really nothing I can do.

FYI I own two internal hard drive that previously had this problem. I was able to get the 6 GB one working by hooking it to my Xbox and formatted it as an Xbox flash drive and then by plugging it to my PC and format it to fat32. The 40 GB didn't work maybe because 16gb is the limit the 360 can take.

Well that's about sum up everything.

Edited by itachigo, 18 December 2011 - 07:12 AM.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

Thank's for long explanation.

Have you try to run Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tool? If not please run it?

#5 itachigo

itachigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Yeah I finish writing at 6:00AM fell of sleep and woke up at 2:30pm. Anyway I'm not sure if i downloaded the right file as this is a completely different hard drive from mine. This is all i can find.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=30&lang=en

I downloaded the the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD). the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows only shows my drive for a split second during the 2-3 minutes cycle I mention early. For the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) it boots into the title screen then nothing after that but a empty black screen.

Tried this page as well, still nothing.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=214&lang=en

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

Sorry I forget to give your the link :axe:
For My Passport Essential you could download it from here.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=203&lang=en

#7 itachigo

itachigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •