Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

im getting a message that say "power surge on hub port and it wont go away. a usb device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port for assistance in solving this problem click this message. there arbnt any usb devices connected and i just installed win pro ser pack 3. this laptop has a wireless card but i dont know how to access it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

i just need to get online using the wireless card but i cant find it since i put service pack 3 on the laptop.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

Try this, go to your device manager and expand USB controllers. Right-click first Universal Host Controller and go to Advanced tab. Checkmark Don't tell me about USB errors. Do this on all host controllers. Check also for any flags or mark under device manager.

Tekken

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

there are 4 usb root hub in in my device manager under universal serial bus. and i am still geting that message even though there is no usb device connected.

#5 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

there are 4 usb root hub in in my device manager under universal serial bus. and i am still geting that message even though there is no usb device connected.

You have either of two problems - hardware or software. Any solution starts by first identifying which is the problem.

For example, if Windows sees a problem, it stores important facts in the system 'event' logs. Always start a solution by first collecting all facts. One place to begin. Also consult Device Manager as another has recommended.

Better computer manufacturers provide comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free. All computer manufacturers have them. Only some are willing to share. Provided for solving problems such as yours. Comprehensive diagnostics load and execute even without Windows. So hardware is defined either good or bad - without anymore doubt. Those diagnostics load from the hard drive, are provided on a CD, and are available on the manufacturer's web site.

Once a problem is defined in either hardware or software (by also reporting all error codes and exact wording), then many solutions can be posted.

I don't understand why USB problems and wireless problems have any relationship. But again, that is why event logs and Device Manager exist. To see failures before trying to fix anything.

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

how do i access device manager.

#7 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

how do i access device manager.

Device Manager can be found from numerous locations including the Control Panel/Systems. Device Manager, system logs, and other features are also located by clicking on Windows' Help and Support.

#8 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hi Sharpie,

Click start>>Right click on 'my computer' click 'manage' click "device manager"
How to manage devices in Windows XP

For event viewer...How To Use the Event Viewer Applet

Pauline

#9 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

You might want to follow the workaround suggested here...

Error message when you wake up a Windows XP-based computer from hibernation or from standby: "Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB Device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port"

Pauline

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Have you tried ticking the option under all controllers as suggested?

Tekken

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

Have you tried ticking the option under all controllers as suggested?

ive tried everything suggested except pauline's link and im going to do that right now.

#12 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

ok the error message went away until i put a flash drive in.

#13 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hi Sharpie,

The flash drive should still function..You can stop the alerts by checking the notification box in the USB properties...

Right click on 'My computer"..click manage..click Device Manager..click on the + next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers..right click and select 'properties on any listing that displays USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER..click on the 'advanced tab..and check the box that says 'Don't tell me about USB errors'
Click on the + next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the selection.
Right-click and select Properties on any listing that displays USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER.
Click on the Advanced Tab.
Check the box that says: Don't tell me about USB errors.

Here is an explanation of what causes it and the solution.
Error: "Power Surge on Hub Port" or "USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port"

Pauline

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

I would start disabling certain USB root hub/ports and use only active ports for connecting USB devices to check if either port is being reported by Windows as faulty. If the problem went away after disabling certain hub, you can pinpoint the problem from there.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users