Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze: what is wrong?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 markfu18

markfu18

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

EDIT 2: I'm pretty sure it's hard drive failure. Talked to people who have had similar problems. If anyone still have any information or anything I'm still checking the thread. Thanks.

Hello, I'm having some rather frustrating troubles with my computer lately. It all started a day or two ago. My computer will freeze. Just lock up, unable to do anything, even open task manager. At first I thought it was Firefox and Steam acting weird, but now I am not sure. It seems that after a certain amount of time it just freezes.

Typing this from safe mode. I hope that someone can help me figure out what exactly is wrong? I tried switching out my RAM, that didn't work. Updated my drivers, no luck. Took my system apart (custom) and put it back together, thought the problem was a loose fan, nope. My computer does not crash, so to speak. It does not turn off, no bsod, it just..freezes. I sit there and watch the blue spinny wheel go round and round. But at the same time it does not freeze entirely. I was backing up some files and the backup stopped, but the estimated time kept ticking up. So there's still SOMETHING going on.

PS I am not super computer savvy, but my dad knows a lot about hardware, he's been trying to help so far. We're thinking it might be a failing hard drive at this point, but wouldn't that mean I would crash in safe mode too? This doesn't make sense to me :/
Here's my specs, let me know if anything else is needed.

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07 GHz
12 GB RAM
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Motherboard: Sabertooth X58
Hard drive: Western Digital 500GB caviar blue (partitioned into 2 250GB)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have looked around for information and nothing and seemed to help/work so far. I figured created my own thread would work best at this point.

Edited by markfu18, 17 December 2011 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Run a diagnostic test for the drive. Use one stick of RAM module. Run a clean boot by using Selective startup http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
Check for any hardware temp. spike.

Tekken

#3 markfu18

markfu18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hey there, thanks for the response.

I tested it this morning. A clean boot was great, loaded up quick and no problems. Temp hung around 30 C.
Put my start up apps back on, loaded up slow again. Ran a temp check as soon as I could and the temp spiked to high 50's Celsius.
The current temp went back to high 30s and now is going into high 40s and is fluctuating between the two, instead of the stable 30 I had with clean boot.

What does this mean?

EDIT: It's been running fine for a while now. Disabling start-up programs seems to have helped.

Edited by markfu18, 18 December 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#4 nnoa110

nnoa110

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

Hi markfu18,

This could mean that one of your start up programs are excessively accessing your HDD or you have some conflict between the programs.
How many apps are running at start up?

Also, What is your security programs? (Anti-virus, Anti-malware, firewall, etc)?

#5 markfu18

markfu18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

If I use msconfig to look at system startup services...it shows 16 non-essential ones. I turned all but 4 off.

For security I use Microsoft Security essentials, Malwarebytes (for scanning) and Sophos (required by my school).

#6 nnoa110

nnoa110

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Does your Sophos includes Anti-virus function?

#7 markfu18

markfu18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Yes. I scanned for virused and the like with MBAM already.
My computer has been working fine since I disabled start up programs, so I'm assuming that was the cause after all.

Why do you ask?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

Enable one service at a time until you find the application that is causing the freeze problem. Reboot if required.

Tekken

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Just a clarification...you did run the WD diagnostic tool (long scan)?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=602&sid=30&lang=en

FWIW: A general barometer of 50 Celsius or less...is what you want to see for hard drive temps. From your post, I cannot tell if you are referencing CPU temps or drive temps.

Louis

#10 markfu18

markfu18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Enable one service at a time until you find the application that is causing the freeze problem. Reboot if required.

Seems like the next logical step, will do.

Just a clarification...you did run the WD diagnostic tool (long scan)?

Uh...nope. Guess I should do that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users