Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't start up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

I have a Dell Vista with an AMD dual core 64 bit 3800 with a WD 500 Cavier Black. For 24 hrs the computer would turn on but otherwise did nothing, not even a Bios page. I tried an experiment and took a hard drive from another computer with XP and put it in the affected computer. It then started XP but could not complete the start up but at least it attempted. I then put the Vista hard drive back in and the computer now starts to open Vista with the Windows page open with the green bars going across but it does not complete the start up. The last thing I did before the computer stopped functioning was approve some updates from Windows. I'm not sure that the updates have been installing properly because every time I approve them at shut down but I have updates on shut down every time I shut down. Its like Groundhog day. Please help me get Windows Vista to start. We will be communicating thru my XP. Chevelle67

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 December 2011 - 10:04 PM.
moved from All Other Applications to Vista

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Tekken

#3 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

I went thru the info that you sent. I am not able to get it to start. Maybe even worse I can't find the Vista disk unless I just don't recognize it. All I can find are driver disks. Would the Vista disk be obvious? I did not start this computer, my wife did so I don't know what the original equip looked like. All I see are disks that state "drivers and utilities including diagnostics". Can you give me any guidance or ideas? chevelle67

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/
Or you could borrow a vista disc for the startup repair.

Edited by jhayz, 21 December 2011 - 09:23 AM.

Tekken

#5 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

I figured out how to get the OS to start. I went into safe mode/F8 and selected to GO TO LAST BOOT UP SESSION. This worked. It started at a time 2 min prior to the Windows Update that I felt caused the problem in the first place. I then created a new restore point and restarted and it functions well. As I mentioned in the original E-mail I continuously am prompted to do updates at shut down. I now know why. They aren't working. Therefore the problem is that my computer will not successfully do the Windows Updates and this crashed my computer last week. Please help me fix my ability to successfully do updates. chevelle67

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

The Windows update might be interrupted or a program is interfering. A Vista disc would be needed to repair the system and redo all Windows updates.

Tekken

#7 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I do not have or can not find a vista disk. I do have discs with dell drivers etc. Could these be the right discs? #1 "For reinstalling Dell Dimension Computer software, Device drivers", #2 For reinstalling PC99 Data/fax/voice, #3 Dell Dimension Resource CD, Diagnostics and Utilities, #4 Windows Anytime Upgrade. Do any of these seem like the disc I am looking for? Could I buy Windows 7 and have it correct the problem along with giving me a better system? chevelle67

#8 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

I'm not sure but the Windows Anytime Update disc may be the OS. I attempted to install an ext harddrive to Backup but the Vista won't accept the down load for the drivers/installation. If the WAU is correct and I use it will I lose all of my data? chevelle67

#9 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hopefully I figured it out. I went to F8 and clicked on the last bootable session, The OS started, I created a restore point, I tried to set up a new Ext hard drive but It wouldn't download drivers but it gave me error 1719, this is windows installer, I went to services, windows installer and found it disabled, clicked manual, ok, start installer, restart, rechecked the installer and it was still on, was then able to download the ext harddrive drivers, did a backup, then was able to download all 19 unsuccessful updates which had been accumulating since Aug when this apparently started. 2 take home messages - if a Vista OS won't boot up but you can do F8 - try Boot up to the Last bootable session. The second is if you can't download updates try Start, type services.msc in search box, enter, in services (local) Rt click on Windows installer, click properties, Startup type-manual, OK, if start up status is stopped click start, OK, exit. I will see if this resolves everything. Hopefully it will. chevelle67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users