Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hotmama

hotmama

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi call me HOTMAMA. I have a problem with my computer. On my laptop (Hp Pavilion 2005) It says that it is missing a NTLDR . I try to do the Alt + Del to restart the computer but then it will say that this file is missing <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please install a copy of this file. I don't know what to do from there. It will not go into my log in. Alittle help? Please and Thank you~

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

What operating system is this, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or other? That way we can move this topic to the correct forum so you can get the proper assistance.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hotmama

hotmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

IS WINDOW XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION 2005

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hello hotmama,

What is the exact model number of your HP Pavilion?

Do you have the Windows XP Media Center installation CD?

1) Remove any attached USB devices and remove any CDROM discs that might be in the drive. Sometimes they can create this error.

2) Are you able to enter BIOS Setup?
  • When the computer first starts, try pressing the <F10> key.
  • If that doesn't work, then look on the screen to see what key to press to enter setup.
  • If you can access Bios setup, make sure that your hard drive is recognized and under Boot Options, is set to boot.

3) Can you enter Safe Mode?
  • As the computer is booting, tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the "Windows Advanced Options Menu."
  • Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" then press the Enter key.
  • If not, how about "Safe Mode with Command Prompt?"

Regards,
Brooks

#5 hotmama

hotmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi i try f10 and f8 and doesnt work is still say same thing as above

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

What is the exact model number of your HP Pavilion?

Do you have the Windows XP Media Center installation CD?

Regards,
Brooks

#7 hotmama

hotmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

the model number is HP PAVILION DV6108NR AND NO I DONT HAVE THE Windows XP Media Center installation CD?

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

You should be able to enter the computer's Setup Utility.

Let's set the system to "load setup defaults":

1. To open the Setup Utility, turn on or restart the computer and then press f10 while the prompt, "Press <F10> to enter setup," is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen.
2. Select Exit > Load Setup Defaults, and then press f10.
3. When the Setup Confirmation is displayed, press enter to save your preferences.
4. To set your preferences and exit the Setup Utility, press f10, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Try to boot normally again. Any change?

Regards,
Brooks

#9 hotmama

hotmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

no changes is the same thing it said files are missing window root system 32 hal.dll I give up thanks anyway for helping me

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

FWIW:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00213449&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3253922

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00044897&lc=en , ignore the fact that it states "desktop", the info is applicable to all systems.

Louis

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hello hotmama,

Let's try one more option before you give up.

Do you have access to another computer that can burn an "iso" image file to a CD?

• Can't burn an "Iso" image? Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image

If you have access to another computer, then let's try to burn and run this bootable cd. The goal is to be able to start the computer with one of the options presented on the CD. This probably won't initially fix the problem but it will allow you access to the computer so you can backup any important files. If the cd starts the computer, we can then proceed with another step to possibly fix it.

Download Fixntldriso.zip and save it to your desktop.

• Unzip the file to find "fixntldrfix.iso" file.
  • Using your CD burning software (or ImgBurn as above), burn the "fixntldrfix.iso" image to CD.
  • Put the CD into the computer with the "NTLDR is missing" error message.
  • Go to this website http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm, arrow down to Step 5) Power on the broken computer with the floppy/cd-r/usb, and follow those directions.
  • You are basically going to try each option until your computer boots.
  • If it does boot, backup any important files, photos, etc. then let us know so we can help you with step # 6).

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users