Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Research Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 libraryboy

libraryboy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

Hello. I am trying to find the right combinations of ram and hard drive size to buy for my business. The computer will be for business with pos software plus software for photo editing. I do one hour film now and will need a new computer that has media slots also.

1. Should I buy lower ram and then upgrade it myself?

2. How good is the HP lightscribe technology....worth the price?

I am considering the Athlon 64 chip and 160 harddrive with 512 expandable ram, any suggestion?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

It all depends on the prices and performance you want.
a Athlon64 chip and 160 gb HDD w/ 512 is a good starting point. If you play any games at all I would suggest to go with 1 GB of RAM though. I wouldn't even consider buying a computer w/o 512mb anymore. Always make sue you can upgrade the system to do some looking around and find a computer you like then check the parts. With and Athlon64 chip you want to ensure you get a 939 chipset (as some shady people are selling 754 chipsets that are now outdated and will soon be unable to upgrade w/o telling you). while also looking at the motherboard you want ot ensure that you can fit at least 2 GB RAM (I perfer 4 GB) and that it uses DDR.
As for HP lightscribe technology I've never delt with it so I dont know there.

I bought my new comp 6 months ago w/ an Athlon64(939), 512mb RAM( max is 4GB) and a 200 GB HDD and I love it. the Processor speed may seem slow (compared to the 3GHz speeds we were seeing) but with this 64 bit technology the true speed would actually be double the rated speed when comparing it to a 32 bit processor. (ie: a 1.8 GHz 64 bit performs like a 3.6 GHz 32 bit processor)

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:50 AM

You should discuss the POS requirements with the software manufacturer, and may elect to have several hard drives or at least understand the desirability of partitioning a large one. You will also need to consider disaster recovery for the business side of the computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users