Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer eRecovery (CDs) with brand new hard drive. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Acerhater

Acerhater

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

I have an Acer Aspire laptop I bought last year and had to replace the hard drive which was not covered under warrenty because it was my fault the old HD broke. So, I went out and bought the exact same one from ServerSupply. It was blank and needed to be reformatted and partitioned so I called Acer and had them send me the recovery discs. I installed the HD and changed the BIOS to:

1. USB CD/DVD ROM
2. IDE0: Hitachi HTS545025B9A300
3. IDE1: MATbleepADVD-RAM UJ8A0AS
4. USB HDD
5. USB FDD
6. Netwok Boot: Legacy PCI Device

I saved and opened the CDROM and inserted the System Disc first as per directions and restarted. It ran fine and the Windows screen popped up and soon after the eRecovery screen popped up. I followed the instructions and selected "Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults" since the only other option required retaining user data which there was none since it was a brand new hard drive. Upon selecting my choice it takes me to a 'Restore Destination' screen and I think this is where the problem is...

Hard Drive Name: Hitachi HTS545025B9A300 ATA Device
Partition Label:
Partiition Size GB.

^^^That is exactly what it says and no I did NOT make any typos.

So I click "OK" and it tells me via popup "This action will erase all existing data on Partition Label: ." I click "OK" to that and it tells me to put in the Restore Disc and I do. It runs for a min and then a popup displays saying "There is insufficient space on the disk for the temporary files required for this operation".

I am so frustrated I'm on the verge of pulling my hair out. Its a brand new 250gig hard drive. Exact same one as the old one. Am I missing something? Did I do the BIOS right? Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Try the other option and see what happens then-it shouldnt hurt anything at the very least. Also, there should be a disc manager screen on those recovery discs-with an option to format-try formating the disc before installing it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Acerhater

Acerhater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

I tried the other option and it wouldn't let me because there was no user data. And I didn't see any option to format. I called the people at Acer and was told it formats automatically when the Recovery Disc is put in...everytime I put in the Recovery Disc it says, "There is insufficient space on the disk for the temporary files required for this operation". If there IS an option to format its pretty well hidden. I'm no amateur at this sort of thing and rarely ask for help with simple things like this. I'm just...frustrated I can't figure this out.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

eh there might not be sometimes those OEM discs dont have that option its kinda frustrating. My guess is theres likely a defective drive but to be sure try downloading something like Ubuntu burn it to disc, and try installing that. If ubuntu works then the problems your recovery discs if it doesnt then the problems likely the drive. Its pretty straight forward-just download the file, burn it to a DVD, then boot off it like you would the recovery discs and follow the on screen instructions.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 bruiced

bruiced

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

- Id first try an old formatting disk to format the entire things.

- Then try to do the installation.

- Id check on the restoration cds as sometimes they send out faulty cds all the time.

- Id find 3rd party recovery cds. I had a problem with my acer recovery disks and just got the oem kid from http://www.newrecoverydisk.com and it seemed to fix my problem. However before that id try the 2 options above.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Could you try to do Full Format your Hardrive with FAT32 on another Computer/Laptop then plug it again on your Laptop and run Acer erecovery disc again.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users