Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

format part of a(n external) hard drive, with windows and another part with linux; is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure how much of a bleepingcomputer.com question(s) this is (/these are), but since it's because of past issues ima guess it qualifies. OUESTION WILL BE REPEATED :) - in hopes of successive better clarity , 2ce.

I've had my computer crash and had hp steal my data because I couldn't get it back for free. Please don't tell me it's not stealing (not to be to abrasive, but no matter how expensive those machines are hp can afford to use them for free per customer for an extra shipping fee to return the hard drive back or they could supply them to certain venders - the customer satisfaction rate would go thru the roof, and that's a huge boost in advertising and would result in a higher rate of spending by hp computer owners much more willing to invest in less risky computers; you'd think they'd want more money and have bestbuy insurance programs not benifit off their deffecit in profits, but I digress.). Anyway, I'm really tired of it, all of this.

I'm going to get as large of an external hard drive as I can afford (2-3 TB [TeraB]) to hook up externally to my computer on a regular basis. I want to use it to back up my files mostly, so it'll be hooked up a few times a week temporarily only. But if my computer crashes I want to also be able to boot my computer from it (Ubunto CD currently) and be able to save on it new information and use things like open office (for homework [college]) and to save bookmarks since i really need them to save myself a lot of trouble [I have my own memory trouble, and pasting URLs into emails gets tiring and they can be lost], I'd like to be able to do all of this on it. And I want to be able to use either windows or linux when I need to, so I'd like to have both programs available for use from that external hard drive. I have a computer with windows already so I don't need to purchase a code, but I really would like to leave it on an external hard drive to minimize problems [reduce virus chance, ect] and use linux as my main system, unless it is safe to have windows on both so long as I rarely use it. (does computer imaging/saving images fit in here somewhere?) And I don't care if putting windows on both will eat up my other two copies of windows left.

It will be nice to use a more user friendly, safer, and regularly maintained (updated) system. But sometimes you just need windows. So i'd like it on part of at least one hard drive. Is this at all possible? If so, is it also possilble to use part of the eternal hard drive like a USB to just simply hold data (picture, .odt, videos, .doc, and etc. backup) as a second security (so long as I can at least still access that part of the [external] hard drive (preferably easily so) even if terrible windows is on part of both of these hard drives and crashes both external and internal hard drive systems [i wouldn't be surprised if it happens, really]). If not on an external hard drive can I do this on my main computer hard drive (do both linux and Windows, in different partitions perhaps (if that makes sense?)? That would be nice too [if I can do both hard drives this way, but only on one hard drive is fine too], so i can get on windows or linux from my computer directly without connecting my external hard drive; I'd like for that ( the external HD) to remain for emergencies, in order to keep my data as safe as possible. But if I can do this, will doing both [putting windows on both] put my data at serious risk? [I know it's losta questions, please bear with me, it's really just one big problem with one hopefully possible (complex) solution that requires alota questions on my part to make happen. So please help :'( ]. QUESTION REPEATED BELOW, hopefully MORE CLEARLY.

This is a confusing question for me to ask because of how complicated it is. Basically I want to put linux<3 on my computer for a more user friendly interface and so that my computer is safe[er] from viruses so that I have a lot less chance of having a "losing/lost data" situation that requires such a complex data removal situation - from a virus that I (think I *rolls eyes at myself*) have to maualy remove (I found the online hp scanner too late, i used it [it was amazing], but the damage was already done, unbenounced to me [i just this last time deleted a boot command something (unintentionally - searching online told me to delete 3 letter things [a thing perticular to the virus I had], but I swear it was only 1 one important thing I deleted, I wasn't hopelessly stupid about it) - that was bad enough. But it gets worse. I then promptly lost my profile and access to all data in a moment following that (my BF decided to delete my computer info for me when I asked for help; I already knew how to fix the problem i had before he did that, but after 4 days of intensivley dealing with my computer [ an intensivley infiltrating Win7 virus 2 days and the boot prob. 2 days, something like that ( I'm not entirely sure on the numbers because i have those memory probs )] I was fried and so I thought it might be easier and quicker for him to do it [ he has a "computer degree", just needs an internship to finish it - I should have known what he'd do though, he had something like 5 computer/hard drive losses in something like 6 years, if he'da known he'da how to properly fix it he'da done it for himself and saved himself alota anger and frusteration])). That delete was about two days ago :'( ]). That delete made my situation about 10 times worse. [don't get me wrong, he's my hero, but JEEZE! :'( ] So i just spent another two days making disks galore to fix this prob., only to find i need an external (or just simply another) hard drive to complete the fix to this prob (shuld have the discs I made anyway, but culda waited to be made and also culda been more easily done in a less tricky situation, lol) (been needing one, an external HD, anyway, causea all this computer data save/back-up trouble from day one, but again, time to save money would'a been nice). Needless to say, no more, just no more >:'[ . [if the days don't add up, my apologies, I have those stupid memory probs, the number of days should be close.]

SUMMARY: I'm not intending to complaining so much as to explain my situation; I don't want to deal with this anymore. So, here's what it boils down to, my question; I <3 linux. It's nice, I'd be able to use an interface more tailored to my uses, and it's safe[r]. But I'd like some access to windows [if at all possible from my main harddrive and also an external one - only if it's safe to have windows on my main hard drive [or both; if doing so will put both copies of my data at risk then it's a no go for both, and which would be safer for my data, the external or internal?] (I mean safe as in it being less likely to bring in viruses if I rairly use it)]. I'm getting an external hard drive for back up of data, but I'd also like to back-up/store&use Windows and linux on the external hard drive as well in order to be able to boot from there in case of system failure on my main computer hard drive (I know that's an inaccuart statement, I just don't know how to state it properly). And I don't care if my Windows code limits get eaten up by this process.

SUMMARY:So, is it safe and possible to have both Linux and Windows on my main hard drive and external hard drives? I'm tired of the pain of Windows and wish to convert and enjoy a better computer experience besides. But that Windows pain won't stop if I need to use it sometimes but can't, even if I love Windows{KIDDING!!} I mean LINUX{!} dearly. So I need a way to access windows, hence the desire of a partial take-up of my hard drive(s) by horrible windows. Is any of this possible? If it is, do I have to chose which hard drive has Windows/Linux, etc., for data safety and whatever other reasons? And I don't care if my last 2 Windows use of my code are used up to do this; it'd be worth it, whatever works.

BEST SUMMARY, DETAILS ABOVE in all summarys and prior to those: Simply [I'll try summarizing again, since I ramble] - I want to put linux on part of both hard drives and WIndows too - because sometimes windows is simply required ( certian games, etc.) but I hate it and prefer Linux. Is this possible and safe? If not, which one is it better to put windows on, for the sake of the safety of my saved data? If so or if not, can I also create a portion in my external hard drive to use like a USB incase both boot options fail on me (one in main hard drive system and one in backup hard drive system) that I can use to recover my data to a third hard (probably replacement) drive/computer? And I don't care if what uses are left of my Windows code get used up. I have 2 left.

And sorry about harping on the memory thing, I just don't want to sound like an idiot.

Thankyou! Sorry for such a complex question, and thanks again! have good day and thank you so much for reading (it's so long!) and for any help!!
Ariana Anora

I hate windows. Is that charming? :P

P.S. Did I post this in the right spot? :)

4Odatcc anotherujd9u0u and 'emll one,

Edited by Ariana Anora, 17 December 2011 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

sorry i did not read any of that. Your title ask how to have Windows & Linux installed. So as long as the thread did not change google dual booting.

I never liked it.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm

Edited by ident, 17 December 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#3 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

How do U do that? And what is that?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

You have to be a it more specific or we can't help. How do you do what? Click on a link? How to use a search engine and look up the term 'dual booting', or 'how to dual boot'?

#5 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

what I asked was how do I put two operating systems on 1 hard drive?
Can I use part of an external hard drive like a USB while also using other parts (partitions?) for operating systems (as a backup if my computer crashes and won't turn on [boot failure, etc.])?

Is the process for putting 2 operating systems (and a USB section on an external HD) the same for both hard drives (internal and external)?

Edited by Ariana Anora, 18 December 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

You can set up a system to dual boot Linux or Windows. If you have a Windows system already, then virtually any Linux system you choose to install will help you set up a dual boot instance. The only prerequisite is that you have an available partition on which to install Linux. At that point, every Linix distribution with which I am familiar, will help you through the dual set-up process.

Booting from a USB or a DVD is similar, except in the instance of a dual boot system, the boot loader will be altered so that during the boot process, you will be prompted to choose which system to boot. The instructions provided by ident will work.

#7 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thanks. Thats very helpful :) .

So, how about an external hard drive? I don't know how to format those.... is it similar? I have a few functions I'd like for it to do. - Be able to boot windows and Linux (dual boot option again) from it, and also store files on it independent of any operating system(s)... I read up on having a share partition for both systems, but i'm not sure how this works, and, what exactly does this do? so... what do I do? :)

Thanks again!

Vesta

wj

Edited by Ariana Anora, 20 December 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#8 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I came across another question while buying all this stuff :( for my poor computer. It still relates to programming, so i think it fits the current post, but if not i'll re-post elsewhere.

I found a mouse i really like at a really good price, but its for Vista and my computer is Windows 7 operated. And if i add Linux that's not even close, so will this mouse work? I says its only compatible with 3 Windows systems, "2000/XP/Vista ". So, is there any way that I can use this mouse universally and easily? Here's the link to my mouse, if it's still available: "http://www.amazon.com/Cordless-Receiver-Wireless-Optical-Mouse/dp/B004S9CLBU/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324407551&sr=1-18". I swear I'm not advertising, leave a mouse for me :'( .

Thanks again!

Zdfo

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

Mice are not OS dependent. All operating systems have generic drivers.

EDIT: Your system has no concept of internal or external drive. All it knows is that it is instructed to boot from some specific device. So in that aspect, formatting an external drive is identical to formatting an internal drive. So is installing an OS on an external drive.

Edited by groovicus, 21 December 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#10 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Great! Thank you so much!

So, what about a safe place to store my data away from an OS, in a way that functions like a USB; can I have a partition on my external HD like that? or do i have to have a partition that both OSs on my External HD have to share/can both access to keep those files "separate" from an OS.... or do I have to do something else?

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

If you are talking specifically about data storage that can be accessed by both Linux and Windows, yes it is possible. It is a matter of setting up a partition with a file system that can be read by both operating systems. Basically Windows' file systems are proprietary, so it used to be a huge pain to set things up so that both OS's could read from the same partition. It has been a few years since I have done it, but it required installing some third party libraries in Linux to be able to read from a Windows' type FAT file system. If I recall correctly, Ubuntu has that capability built into it. I am not sure of what linux libraries are available, or what linux distributions may have the capability already added into it.

#12 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Okay, thanks.

I think I'm having trouble phrasing my question.

I did read up on this a bit before I posted on here, and I think I know how to do that. But I was wondering if this keeps my data separate from both Oss, incase they both become corrupt, so that I can still access the data without repairing the OSs that are on the drive. Basically I'd like a section formatted like a USB, OS independant.; is this possible to do?

I just don't trust Oss or computers after having lost 6 in 3 years... :,( . I'm just looking for a secondary way to keep my data for retrieval within the same hard drive that is accessable from another hard drive/system, etc. where I can extract the data without fiddleing with an OS, such as fixing or working around it, etc.
- I dont mind if this requires that I copy and paste my files mannually to a separate partition or something. That's fine. I dont mind having doubles across differnt sections of my external HD. I just want my data safe >:[ lol.

Thank you groovicious for all your help :) .

Edited by Ariana Anora, 23 December 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:45 AM

If you have an individual partition to store data, then it is separate from the partitions that contain your operating systems. If the operating systems become corrupt, then you will be able to access your data via a bootdisk. However, the disk containing your data can still be corrupted. The only way to prevent against that is to set up a RAID system. Based on my understanding of what you want to do, you will need several storage devices. One, the internal drive that you would normally use. Two, an external drive containing a linux and windows os (although I don't understand why you would need to duplicate one of your operating systems on an external drive). Three, a data drive.

#14 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Okay, great, thank you :) .

I just don't trust OSs anymore. I'd like have have a second way to access both incase of trouble from those on my main computer for whatever reason. If windows fries on my laptop then I can rely on my HD's version, hopefully. And, in case something happens to Linux I'll then also have that avaiable on a secondary HD. I just need to know I have the OSs I need when I need them, so I can do what I need to when I need to.

Does this make sense? Am I doing something wrong to achieve this?

thanks ^.^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users