Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access System Recovery or boot to Win-7 after installing XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 problemoo

problemoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

I am in a bit of problem... please read.

I recently created a new partition with 200GB of space on my Windows 7 64bit (HP Elite) PC system. I installed Windows XP Professional on that new partition (trying to create dual OS). After Windows XP was installed, I was unable to find "Windows 7" as a boot option under "Startup and Recovery"... I could only see Windows XP Professional. I went to Disk Management and right clicked on the partition where my Windows 7 OS was under, and chose "Make partition active"... I got a warning system MAY not be able to boot, but I chose to proceed anyways. I tried restarting and got an error "BOOTMGR is missing / Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" ... I tried pressing F11 after restarting to get into "System Recovery" but it would go directly to the error message. I was still be able to access everything else during boot except "System Recovery" such as BIOS, etc.

I re-installed Windows XP Professional on the same partition... and was now able to get into the Windows XP Pro OS again. I'm still unable to access "System Recovery" when booting. F11 option is being bypassed and going directly into XP OS. This is my first concern, how do I get "System Recovery" to get working again? It used to work before as I re-installed Windows 7 couple of months ago. I can still see "FACTORY IMAGE" drive in My Computer (could be on a different drive letter than before). And second, how do I boot to my original Windows 7 OS (C-drive seems intact and all Win-7 system files are there)?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

When you installed XP AFTER Win 7...you broke the Win 7 bootloader files.

XP boot files cannot boot/recognize Win 7 installs.

But you can, after reading how to use it, use a program like EasyBCD to make things better and mitigate the harm.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

I can't answer any questions about System Recovery if you mean that you damaged the reocvery partition installed by the system manufacturer...I have no experience with such.

Louis

#3 problemoo

problemoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the help. So basically I fixed the problem by downloading "windows 7 recovery disk" torrent and burning it onto a disc. I then restarted the computer with the disc inside, and the system recovery was able to fix the problem after 2 restarts.

Right now, the only problem I have is I'm unable to access system recovery (without disc) when pressing F11 at boot screen.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

I suspect that the only way to have all three options: F11 access to System Recovery, Windows 7 operating system, and Windows XP operating system is to use your System Recovery Disc to return your system to the Native Windows 7 x64, then install free Virtual Machine software such as Virtual Box or VMPlayer. Install Windows XP and any programs depending on it within the VM in Windows 7.

Of course, backup all data before using system recovery software.

View a video: How to Install Windows XP on Sun Virtualbox by Britec

or

Read a Tutorial: Run Windows XP on Windows 7 with free VMware Player

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users