Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused whether its a Bad Sector/ Boot Sector Virus/ Other problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 soumdash

soumdash

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:58 AM

I am using a Lenovo G460 Laoptop with Windows 7 ultimate, Core i3, 3 GB Ram configuration.

As my computer had become slow, I decided to format and re-install a fresh copy of Windows 7 last month. After installation, it displayed an error for a fraction of second saying, windows couldn't install properly. I couldn't read the full message properly as it appeared just for a fraction of second. However, as the windows worked fine, i did all my drivers installations and switched off my laptop. The next day, it was unable to start and automatically did a chkdsk operation and found out many unreadable files and got stuck in the middle during the operation. I had to press the switch on/off button to restart it again and again did a windows installation. Since then, I have to install a fresh windows near about everyday when i switch on my laptiop. On doing the chkdsk operation, sometimes it shows no problems and sometimes it shows many unreadable files.

I am in a state of confusion whether its due to some bad sector/ some hardware malfunction/ any boot sector virus or any other problem. I think if it would be a bad sector then every time the chkdsk operation should detect it, which it doesnt. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:50 AM

If you run chkdsk without the /r switch, nothing is accomplished. You must run chkdsk /r

Alternatively, you can download the hd diagnostic utility from you website of the hd manufacturer, burn it to cd, and run that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users