Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok Need Advice Again

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:52 AM

For the last few years I have benn using Norton Anti Virus. Right now I actually have a trial membership for Norton that is set to run out in a week. Before purchasing Norton again I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. To be honest I havent been to happy with Norton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Hello, Since your Norton is running out and are asking advice I will try to give you some.

Unless absolutely necessary do not pay for Anti-virus software.

Now that the advice is over with here is what I have been using for as long as I have remembered and since I dumped Symantec (Norton) = AVG Free found at:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click the free one. They also sell the full version which does more but the free will suffice.

Also there are more sites to go to and if you want a way to get to them go to the following web page:

http://mysite.verizon.net/edreese911/

Then click on the drop down window labeled: Antivirus, Security And Technical Support Sites

The web page is called Ed's Tech Links, have fun and enjoy

cya l8r

ThorXP

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hi bill

I used to have Norton on my system, but after i uninstalled it i realised actually how much it slowed down my computer.
I would recommend Grisoftsİ AVG or AVASTİ. As these are the more secure and better ones. They are both free, i don't think you should have any need to pay for any Anti-Virus --> both the ones i listed above come with updates aswell :thumbsup:

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 05 February 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:45 AM

I like the AVG Free myself. I've got a lot of friends that use Avast and they like it also.

Recommendations for payware mostly revolve around NOD32 and Kapersky
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

Why is it that some many people use Norton if from what I can tell its not as good as others and takes up a ton of space?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

I could guess at several reasons. First, Norton may come pre-installed on many brands of shelf-computers, and users stick with it. Second, although its reputation is becoming tarnished, it still has a sort of brand recognition and is prominently displayed on retailer shelves.
Many casual users, lastly, do not frequent computer help sites such as this, and thus do not get the benefit of the greater experience of the members or the various discussions about the relatively merit of, in this case, anti-virus vendors. It was on a site such as BC, that I myself learned about AVG, tried it, and have continued to use it for several years.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

I use Norton because I have confidence in it. In the 6 years I have used NAV, I have never had one negative experience. I formerly used NAV in conjunction with Kerio Personal Firewall, but now use NIS 2006 with a secure mind.

My belief is that users are to blame for many of the untoward things which (allegedly) happen with a reliable AV program installed. But most are reluctant to admit their errors honestly.

As for the cries of those who are NOT running optimized systems to begin with...I take that with a large grain of salt. It takes up a number of resources...but my systems have a large number of resources to deal with programs like Office and NAV and Excel and graphics-editors and video-editors, ad nauseam.

And anyone who is worrying about hard drive space these days...and who does not store video files on their hard drives...is just being noisy.

It's not the only AV/security program I have confidence in...I recommend AVG Free to those who don't want to pay, while friend prefer Avast or Panda or any number of others.

Louis

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

AGV free is my favorite just turn it on and let it go. Kapersky gave me some issuses (but thats just me)(if it'll screw up it'll do it on me). Norton is too much $$ for to little advantage plus its a big name so it will be targeted by the people who make viruses

Posted Image

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:53 PM

Independent comparatives of Anti-Virus Software
List of Anti-virus Products: Reviews
virus.gr December 2005 Test Results & Rankings

AVG or Avast are your best choices in the free category.

Edited by quietman7, 07 February 2006 - 06:55 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users